Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this puppy?

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA

What do you think of this puppy?

Cooper 56 Classic 300 H&H : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

It's about the same price as a pre 64 Whinney. I think the Cooper beats the Whinney hands down.

You know that test fire target is shot at 50M right?~Muir

SD Regular
    I didn't, was wondering about that. If it's that at 50, it's likely still under an inch at 100. Wagering it shoot's better than the pre 64 Winneys at the same price.
    Last edited by A Guy Out West; 19-08-2015 at 02:38.

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy Out West View Post
    I didn't, was wondering about that. If it's that 50, it's likely still under an inch at 100. Wagering it shoot's better than the pre 64 Winneys at the same price.
    Yup: Still sub MOA and probably will outshoot the pre-64 Winchester. Coopers are good guns. I know a few guys at the Cooper dealer in the City and my girl friend knows a bunch of people at the plant. All the test fire targets look exactly like that one: A bug-hole or clover leaf. I am lucky in that I can buy Coopers over the counter so I have handled a few. Excellent workmanship and accuracy.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy Out West View Post
    Cooper 56 Classic 300 H&H : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

It's about the same price as a pre 64 Whinney. I think the Cooper beats the Whinney hands down.
    I think you are lucky to live in the midst of a flourishing firearms industry where such a premium offering is available at a price a relatively normal person could actually afford to buy! It certainly looks every inch a competent understated and desirable rifle.... One day.....

Not exactly the best bit of good looking timber in the stock is it. For that sort of money I would expect something a bit nicer looking than that.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I was wondering about the wood, but I'm not averse to a rifle thats shoots well wearing any sort of wood / composite stock ... looks very new?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    I was wondering about the wood, but I'm not averse to a rifle thats shoots well wearing any sort of wood / composite stock ... looks very new?
    It is brand new. The wood is a little lighter than I prefer, but heck it's not bad.

A tad "agricultural" to my eyes
    for the fat end of $3000 you could pick up some seriously tasty bits of rifle that would suit such a classy cartridge better IMO

Hell you are well over halfway to getting a semi custom Mauser with some much nicer walnut

Cooper is using a lot of wood wood with that cream n coffee color and contrasting grain. I looked at a half dozen or more Coopers last week and IIRC they all had the same kind of wood.

Coopers are a very straight lined design leaning towards the N.American plains rifle style but there is nothing 'agricultural' about them. The metal is largely finished in a smooth matt finish because these rifles are meant to be used in the field. They are hand fit and hand checkered and if the warranty is still as it was, guaranteed to retain accuracy. If the rifle's accuracy tanks they will rebarrel it under warranty. That's not too bad.

The price on that rifle is a bit over retail though. That's 'Gun Broker' for you....~Muir