Thread: problems with snap caps

problems with snap caps

Anyone had issues with snap caps? I bought a new rifle which had issues with chambering and extracting GGG rounds, went back to dealer. I bought some 308 snap caps from anschutz - aluminium ones so thought they woudl be precision. The rifle is fine with cycling GGG 308 rounds, however with the snap caps it does not seem to engage and extract the rounds? Any ideas why this may be the case.

I've yet to find any snap caps that actually fit any of my .308 rifles. I can usually chamber them, but not close the bolt handle.

What are you using the snap caps for? I think that they're unnecessary: the bolt assembly should be strong enough to handle thousands of dry fires without damage.

Snap Caps are easy enough to make from an empty case. Firstly drill a line of say 2mm diameter holes along the sides of the case - to show that it is a snap cap and that it is not loaded nor can be loaded with powder. I suppose you could put some creases along its length, like the old 303 dummy rounds but how to do this without completely deforming the case I do not know.

Next remove the decaying pin from your resizing die and then resize the case (or just use as normal and then "reprime" with a spent primer)

Load in a bullet and seat normally.

Use. The holes in the case clearly show its a snap cap.

Snap caps are very good for practising reloading drills etc and getting the feel of the rifle.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 21-08-2015 at 09:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20

[B
    Load in a bullet and seat normally. [/B]

Use. The holes in the case clearly show its a snap cap.

Snap caps are very good for practising reloading drills etc and getting the feel of the rifle.
    Why bother with this? Surely that's just asking for trouble? Re-sized brass will chamber fine with no need for a seated round in the case, I know you're saying drill holes etc to make it unusable etc, but without the seated bullet there could be no confusion..... Surely....??
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Why bother with this? Surely that's just asking for trouble? Re-sized brass will chamber fine with no need for a seated round in the case, I know you're saying drill holes etc to make it unusable etc, but without the seated bullet there could be no confusion..... Surely....??
    I don't drill the cases, but I do "prime" with spent primers. I do load a bullet, an FMJ (the only ones I have!) to the same length as I load my deer legal bullets. Helps practice loading, unloading and bolt cycling. Seating the bullet makes the experience of loading and unloading more realistic.

Much cheaper than buying snap caps, and probably much more realistic. At least, I think so....