Tikka T3 Lite - upgrade or trade in?

2506Shooter

Hi, I currently shoot a Tikka T3 Lite st/syn in 25-06 with an S&B 3-12x50 and ASE Utra SL5 mod. The rifle shoots splendidly but inevitable in hankering for something different.

I'm not a massive traditionalist, and don't mind synthetic or laminate stocks, and quite like the aesthetics of heavyish barrels (as well as their ability to manage multiple shots in succession).

Im considering whether to upgrade my T3 with a GRS stock and heavier barrel (there's a lovely barrel in the classifieds). I think the work will cost about £1200 (£500 stock, £200 barrel, £500 labour for fitting the barrel). There's also scope for future upgrading with bottom metal and AI mags.

Alternatively I could chop the T3 in for something like a Sako 85 varmint laminate in .308 (I have a spare slot), but there seem to be fewer options for customising Sakos than Tikka. I don't really have a specific budget, it's whatever I can sneak past my wife at any time!

Does les anyone have any thoughts, or other options which I've overlooked?

That's a lot of money to spend on fitting a 2nd hand barrel (£200 seems pricey to me). Why not get a new barrel fitted for a similar price or a couple hundred more?

If you have the slot and you can afford to keep the T3 then do that and add the Sako (Not much more expensive than the barrel change you quoted). I have a T3 with a more 'tactical' setup for range use and my 85 Varmint Laminate Stainless in .308 is primarily for stalking use, although does also see occasional range action. The Sako 85 VLS is an outstanding rifle. Very accurate..

I think you should handle a Sako 85 Varmint Laminate Stainless and then make a decision. If you like the stock (and therefore won't be changing it), then for a similar amount that you have budgeted to upgrade your Tikka, you will have a spanking new rifle. (It occurs to me that you will also need a different moderator 30 cal and threaded M18x1.)

The Tikka are a fine rifle and stupidly accurate. It is likely that the 85 won't be noticeably more so given that they employ the same barrels, but (for me), the fit and finish and all metal components set it apart. I have had a 85 Varmint Laminate Stainless in .223 for 3 years now and it is a lovely thing to shoot. It is a confidence inspiring rifle and you do have to try very hard to miss with it. :doh: The set trigger (standard fit) is a lot of fun, although I admit I don't tend to use it as I don't practice with it.

Earlier this year, I fancied the same gun with more poke so I bought it in .308. I had it zeroed at 100m within a few shots and a 5 shot 1 inch group within the first 10 shots out of the barrel. This was with Hornady SST which I had bought a couple of packs of to play with. I haven't stretched its legs yet, but am looking forward to spending more time with it. Like the .223, it is a very satisfying gun to shoot.

You are in a nice position. Such a terrible quandary. :D

regards

Ian

Hi, I currently shoot a Tikka T3 Lite st/syn in 25-06 with an S&B 3-12x50 and ASE Utra SL5 mod. The rifle shoots splendidly but inevitable in hankering for something different.

I'm not a massive traditionalist, and don't mind synthetic or laminate stocks, and quite like the aesthetics of heavyish barrels (as well as their ability to manage multiple shots in succession).

Im considering whether to upgrade my T3 with a GRS stock and heavier barrel (there's a lovely barrel in the classifieds). I think the work will cost about £1200 (£500 stock, £200 barrel, £500 labour for fitting the barrel). There's also scope for future upgrading with bottom metal and AI mags.

Alternatively I could chop the T3 in for something like a Sako 85 varmint laminate in .308 (I have a spare slot), but there seem to be fewer options for customising Sakos than Tikka. I don't really have a specific budget, it's whatever I can sneak past my wife at any time!

Does les anyone have any thoughts, or other options which I've overlooked?

You'll miss that.~Muir

Yes, you should keep the .25-06 if you like that cartridge and the rifle is so accurate.
The .308 is quite different; just get one in the Sako 85 and nice wood, open sights, and no mod, and have happy shooting both ways.

Sauer90 - I'm possibly overestimating the labour involved in re-barrelling but it seems to be the going rate on smiths' websites. What's a sensible estimate? Would a Tikka 695 barrel fit a T3? The tenon threads are the same, so I would think its not a complicated job.

Thanks all for the advice. I suspect I could stretch to an additional rifle but would have to factor in quality glass on top, which almost doubles the cost. 25-06 and .308 achieve much the same result in the real world, so it's maybe pointless having rifles in both calibres.

Reall useful food food for thought. Thanks again. Jon.

Keep rifle, spend money on stalking some serious country up north, you will then appreciate your current rifle....trust me....

I'd love to get the time to do it, which is probably why I'm spending more time thinking about rifles than shooting them! I've had a couple of great weeks on the hinds in the last few years. Love it!

KEEP your light rifle. You will regret forever making it heavier. A heavy rifle has no advantages.

I tend to Agree with this statement, I know of two people who have sold their sako 85 laminate varmint rifles, (used for stalking) and both got lighter rifles ( 85 finnlite and a tikka t3 lite).... You will also be paying a lot of money for very little (if any) improvent in accuracy either.... Just my personal opinion though.

Back