Thread: Quadpod from Hammond sporting

Quadpod from Hammond sporting

Anyone use them

How noisy are they

Are they worth the expense

cheers
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunting View Post
    Anyone use them

How noisy are they

cheers
    TH, I have a set of these, got them whilst on a stalking course at Jon Snowdons at Greenlee, I do not find them any noiser than other sticks I have, or have used. They do have an advantage in that the front rest on the pod is about 80mm wide approx, and you can move your rifle on the front pod through about a 50 yard movement at about 100 yards, also they are telescopic for taking kneeling and standing shots. Yes they are expensive, but so is everything these days

Patrickt

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunting View Post
    Anyone use them

How noisy are they

cheers
    I've got a set, but not for stalking. I'm going to attempt to use them in a competition this weekend. I'm not wowed by them, but felt I should try them. I use 4 sticks for stalking. Regards JCS

I like them, if you do get a set tape the open holes its like taking a flute out on a windy day. Using the telescopic movement in the field would be a bit clunky and probably quite noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by NoIDeer View Post
    I like them, if you do get a set tape the open holes its like taking a flute out on a windy day. Using the telescopic movement in the field would be a bit clunky and probably quite noisy.
    Now I haven't yet experienced the flute but thanks for the practical advice' will save me the frustration!

Quote Originally Posted by NoIDeer View Post
    Absolutely, tried a set the other day, whistling in the wind like the pied piper of hamelin.

Very stable in use though, luckily the gunbearer set them up for me to save the faff.
    Last edited by old man; 21-08-2015 at 11:28. Reason: Note about stability

I've got a set and I really like them. They do whistle slightly in the wind but frankly, if there's enough wind to make them whistle, it'll be windy enough that it's unlikely that the whistling will be heard by anyone or anything that isn't right next to the sticks.

I've also personally managed to adjust them quite happily in the field from standing to kneeling and vice versa - just takes some practice in understanding how to manipulate them.

The stability is excellent (as with all quad sticks) but the key feature is the ability to traverse - all the pros of quad sticks without the annoying limiting factor of not being able to move the muzzle laterally.
    Last edited by Tom_Ov; 20-08-2015 at 19:03.

I bought a set last year and have been very pleased with them, a very stable platform to shoot from and once u get the knack easy to adjust in the field tho, I find I very seldom have to havn,t experenced the wistling that others report but overall would recommend

]I bought a set, um about a year and a half ago now I guess. I tested them extensively then sent john a report on what I thought of them. What he did with the report I have no idea but he did thank me for doing it.

]Anyway at this stage I have shot somewhere in the region of 700 rabbits and a few deer and foxes with them. The reason I mention the bunnies is so you can see they have had a good outing.

I never shoot kneeling so it doesn't bother me. Like said, tape off the holes you don't use as it can whistle a merry tune. It can be noisy as you have the clack a clack of metal on metal. I modified mine with pipe insulation which reduced the noise a lot and I took off the clips as I found them to be a nuisance. The only noise now seems to be the 2 top bits hitting each other when you close them. I intend to stick a bit of rubber and that will get rid of that noise hopefully. Just haven't got around to it so it can't be that bad I suppose.

Quad sticks are inherently more stable than twin sticks or tripods. So yes they are worth it for that. If you think about how much we spend on rifles and clothing and glass but we bitch about some money on sticks?

Whilst I am careful with my money I had been shooting from homemade quadsticks and had even developed a set of my own like the quad pod but the bit I didn't do was to tighten the nut up to give the friction like the quad pod. Doh! I told him that when I saw him at the show and he was demonstrating them. I got all excited and enthusiastic about them. I like the fact that they close down so they fit in the truck easily. I take them out and set them to fit my size, I have the correct holes marked and leave them alone only closing them again when back at the truck. I couldn't do that with fixed ones.
    I also like the fact that you can track your animal if it moves.
    They are slower to deploy than a twin sticks but hey, I can live with that. To be honest it never occurs to me to use them as a bipod I'm so used to them now.

So, are they any good? Well I never leave home without them.
    Am I happy I bought them, well now that the pain of paying for them has long gone, yes, I am. Are they better than home made ones, yes, definitely.
    Would I buy another set again, yes if I did something stupid like drive over them
    Can they be improved? Yes I think so, but ones mans improvement may be another mans backward step.
    any problems? Well I had to tighten the bolts up once but that is it.

But that is only my opinion. If anyone lives near me they are welcome to try mine for size.
    Last edited by The Singing Stalker; 20-08-2015 at 22:08.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .