Thread: NZ Cull gone wrong....

NZ Cull gone wrong....

Oh dear, it seems that our antipodean cousins have over reached themselves by culling non-cervid game?

Must be tough buggers if they needed deer rifles to take them down though.

I can feel the PSC1 being drafted already.

Jim
    "Hunters in New Zealand have accidentally shot dead four critically endangered takahe birds after mistaking them for another species, it's reported.
    The incident occurred when members of the Deerstalkers' Association were permitted to cull up to 600 of the abundant pukeko at a sanctuary on Motutapu Island, off the coast of the country's North Island, the New Zealand Herald reports. The Department of Conservation confirmed that hunters had made the "deeply disappointing" mistake, despite being briefed on the differences between the two species. The highly aggressive pukeko is half the size of the flightless takahe, and is described in bird-watching handbooks as "widespread and easily recognisable". Deerstalkers' Association president Bill O'Leary has apologised "to the department and to the country at large".
    There are only about 300 takahe birds left in the world, and the species was thought to be extinct as late as 1948, Radio New Zealand reports. The killings have angered Maori groups who agreed to allow the rare birds to be moved from their native South Island to Motutapu for conservation purposes. Rino Tirakatene, a member of New Zealand's parliament, says there are now calls for the birds to be returned. "There's no way that they would send their treasured takahe to a sanctuary for it to be slaughtered," he says."
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

That's the least of their worries; there was a hunter mistaken for a deer & shot recently.

There is very little difference between the two birds, as to the mauri being upset, one of there main leaders was caught at the airport with four dead protected wood pigeon, they have one rule for them and one for others. Amazingly it was them who wanted them protected.

There's usually a couple of folk killed in NZ every year without fail.....'mistaken for deer' - I remember a guy working a bulldozer in a riverbed in the 70's getting shot....(more than once too) It's a scary place the Nz bush when the stags are roaring.....I knew a guy who had been shot at close range....the guy who did it waited half an hour before he went in to help, made out he found him by chance and tried to get away with it....was made out to be a hero for running out of the hills for help.....the bullet essentially gutted the fella....he told me the worst bit was the choppers rotor wash causing him to freeze as it took a long time for the boys to winch down and winch him out.....there's a case at the moment where a guy wants his license back after shooting a fellow hunter in the head at 16 metres, the guys was wearing a blaze orange beanie...he mistook this for a stags shoulder...scary thing is he was a senior member of The NZ Deer Stalkers Association and a Mountain Safety Firearms Instructer....oh then there was the girl shot dead whilst brushing her teeth whilst wearing a head torch....every duck shooting season you will see accidents, another guy I knew had his bicep blown off....it's endless.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wapiti View Post
    There's usually a couple of folk killed in NZ every year without fail.....'mistaken for deer' - I remember a guy working a bulldozer in a riverbed in the 70's getting shot....(more than once too) It's a scary place the Nz bush when the stags are roaring.....I knew a guy who had been shot at close range....the guy who did it waited half an hour before he went in to help, made out he found him by chance and tried to get away with it....was made out to be a hero for running out of the hills for help.....the bullet essentially gutted the fella....he told me the worst bit was the choppers rotor wash causing him to freeze as it took a long time for the boys to winch down and winch him out.....there's a case at the moment where a guy wants his license back after shooting a fellow hunter in the head at 16 metres, the guys was wearing a blaze orange beanie...he mistook this for a stags shoulder...scary thing is he was a senior member of The NZ Deer Stalkers Association and a Mountain Safety Firearms Instructer....oh then there was the girl shot dead whilst brushing her teeth whilst wearing a head torch....every duck shooting season you will see accidents, another guy I knew had his bicep blown off....it's endless.....
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

The birds may look similar but the folk who shot them have no excuse whatsoever....there's only about 250 Takahe left and now there are 4 less due to some piss poor shooting....it's a disgrace

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wapiti View Post
    Well NZ was on my bucket list to go shooting before i die, but I would also like to come out alive.

While it is not great it's still not a complete disater, if u read some stuff about 1080 would not to be hard to believe 1080 might have put a few to sleep over the years.

I was out whitebaiting with some mates a few years ago staying in a DoC hut, on our last nite the next group were coming in to have a bevy with us, long story but some of them came in a jet boat which konked out right in the fast flowing river mouth and got washed out to sea and along coast where it sunk, after attempting to find them we got our nets and walking back to the hut in total black with head torches on, 2 almighty cracks and wee hit the deck double quick. We all **** ourselves.

Can't mind the calibre now but biggest bullet i've ever seen, could stick my fat pinky right down the barrel (think a 458? rigby rings a bell but not even sure if that is a calibre but sure a .40cal)

Thankfully he was just 'drying' his barrel of his pig gun as he had to use it as a paddle and his pig dogs had to swim for it.

Those boys i was with, 1 has shoot 3 sheep (2 and a 1) while lamping deer???? and seen videos of them in there 'moi moi' so drunk 1 fell over inside the coragated tin moi moi with a loaded semi. Not good, still quite a culture of drink and guns in some places.
    Have hear of cattle being shot as well by folk lamping/poaching, always have to be careful out in the bush with a head torch on