Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer and badgers

Deer and badgers

Just idle musings, but do deer have any problems with badgers on the patch? I know it's hardly likely they'd be considered prey (not looking overly like a hedgehog...), but are they disturbed by the presence of Mr Brock?

I've got a bit sett in the middle of one of my farms, no shortage of munties roe and fallow sharing the same area, why would they concern deer really, they're hardly a predator to them....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Just last night watched a couple of roe and three badgers within 20 yards of each other going about their business, ignoring each other completely. There was also a fox poking about1

Foxes are known to predate muntjac fawns, so I doubt an opportunist omnivore would pass up the opportunity either?
    I've seen badgers completely strip a deer carcass overnight so they certainly have a taste for bambi given the chance.
    MS

I'd agree with MS, any young kid/calf sitting tight may well be fair game to any badger.

In scandinavia they had a lot of distemper? which reallly hit the fox population and they were amazed how much the roe population jumped by with no fox predation,. Given the density of badgers in some parts compared to foxes they could have a fairly big impact on youngsters for for first few weeks/months or any sickly ones sitting tight in the wrong place

But seen plenty adults mooching alongside badgers

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I've seen badgers completely strip a deer carcass overnight so they certainly have a taste for bambi given the chance.
    MS
    Mostly they like mushrooms though, and they hate snakes.

I presume that tuberculosis is a disease passed between species but given the reluctance to link Badgers and Bovine TB, I wonder if it has been formally recognised?

Roe does with young fawns will not tolerate badgers and will chase them off aggressively, have seen it a couple of times.

F

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post
    I presume that tuberculosis is a disease passed between species but given the reluctance to link Badgers and Bovine TB, I wonder if it has been formally recognised?

Bovine TB is absolutely a zoonotic, notifiable disease - capable of passing not only between animals, but also to humans - and hence the sensitivity around it.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

A good friend of mines father is in hospital isolation in Sussex with TB age 65 at the moment and is very poorly .