Dsc2

Hi just after some advice new to stalking and have my DSC1 and I am very keen to do my DSC2 but have no land to stalk on so were can I get my witnessed stalks done

Hi just after some advice new to stalking and have my DSC1 and I am very keen to do my DSC2 but have no land to stalk on so were can I get my witnessed stalks done

Liam

First of all, congratulations on attaining your DSC1.

If you apply for your DSC2 you will be sent a list of AW's. I'd suggest you find some close to your own location and call them to see which can offer stalking on their own ground.

At the same time, if you check on here there are numerous members who can offer stalking in close proximity to you, so it may be worth reviewing those and seeing which are also AW's. Don't, however, discount those members further afield who also come with a good reputation for getting clients in front of deer, and who are also AW's, as they may be able to arrange several outings over the course of a weekend which could increase your chance of success.

There are also organisations such as BDS who offer the opportunity for an intensive session over a weekend where the chance of completing your three ICR's is increased - note that other providers are also available!

I may have kept the most important advice to last, but as much as possible make sure before you apply for your DSC2 and the associated witnessed stalks that you have built up some good experience in the practicalities of stalking, particularly as it relates to things like the gralloch. It would be very difficult for someone with little experience to embark directly on their DSC2, since it a practical-based assessment of your competence. You will find numerous reviews on here of very capable stalking guides who can take you out and "show you the ropes" as it were.

Above all, remember that this is meant to be fun, not an arduous challenge that you have to complete in the shortest time possible.

Whichever option(s) you pursue, I wish you every success.

Thank you for this great advice. I am going to get a lot of stalking under my belt before I start DSC2. Don't want to sound tight but it seems so expensive £90 ish quid for a guid before you shooting anything then £60ish when you do.

Liam there are a lot of stalking guides that have different pricing structures, some just charge a flat fee plus charge you if you want the venison, some a fee plus shot/missed shot fee, some seem to charge you for breathing near them.

The amount of these fees can vary quite a bit especially if you start looking at shoot bucks/stags, cheaper way is to find a guide that if possible comes with a recommendation from someone you know and shoot doe/hinds.

I have never stalked with him but Malc is one many will recommend, I have been out with Ian F off here he is up front about what his fees are so nothing hidden there.

I have also stalked with South Ayrshire Stalking which is run by Chris Dalton, very nice place to stay and Chris is very straight about what you pay, also has estate rifle if you need. Chris is an AW so can instruct you on what is need before you start your level 2.

There are good guides out there that won't cost you the earth to stalk with, there is also a thread on here that was running a few days ago about what questions to ask when booking a stalk so you don't find out after the shot that there are more fees to pay.

Regards Dave

There are many AWs who charge next to nothing, phone around and you'll soon figure out who they are.
Equally there are many who will whip your pants down and spank the cash out of you, choose with care.
The same goes for booked stalking, there are some very reputable outfits on this very site, go by personal recommendation not a glossy advert.

Liam,
if you have only just passed your DSC 1, don't register for DSC 2 just yet. It's not a race and you need to get some experience before you have a realistic chance of achieving DSC 2. If you register too early you will just end up compressing the 3 year period if not careful. There is some good training material out there such as the BDS gralloch DVD. Find out if there is a deer park near you and ask if you can watch/help the lardering process. Shooting is the easy bit! It is a big leap from DSC 1 to 2 and not just a natural progression as some expect! There are some good folk on here that may be able to help you. There are also people out there that will take your money for little reward. Advice given on here is generally good or swiftly pounced upon if bad!:lol: Learn to walk before you run. There is no such thing as a daft question. Ask away.
MS

Liam,
if you have only just passed your DSC 1, don't register for DSC 2 just yet. It's not a race and you need to get some experience before you have a realistic chance of achieving DSC 2. If you register too early you will just end up compressing the 3 year period if not careful. There is some good training material out there such as the BDS gralloch DVD. Find out if there is a deer park near you and ask if you can watch/help the lardering process. Shooting is the easy bit! It is a big leap from DSC 1 to 2 and not just a natural progression as some expect! There are some good folk on here that may be able to help you. There are also people out there that will take your money for little reward. Advice given on here is generally good or swiftly pounced upon if bad!:lol: Learn to walk before you run. There is no such thing as a daft question. Ask away.
MS

Just to endorse what MS has said I found assisting with the lardering on a park cull invaluable, DSC 2 is much about demonstrating in practice that you can actually do the things that you learnt in DSC 1. so get as much experience as possible. Good luck.

atb Tim

There are many AWs who charge next to nothing, phone around and you'll soon figure out who they are.
Equally there are many who will whip your pants down and spank the cash out of you, choose with care.
The same goes for booked stalking, there are some very reputable outfits on this very site, go by personal recommendation not a glossy advert.
Raises an interesting point. Why should there be so much variance in this part of the scheme. Should an AW be charging the same or very close to no mater what. Should DMQ not be policing this and establishing a fair tariff system depending on what you need.

Raises an interesting point. Why should there be so much variance in this part of the scheme. Should an AW be charging the same or very close to no mater what. Should DMQ not be policing this and establishing a fair tariff system depending on what you need.

No.

The marketplace has choice. Some people have costs and are doing this as their living. Some people have good jobs or are retired and do it for the love of deer.

Find out in advance what the fees and terms are and then decide how you will spend your money. There is no more or less to it than that.

No.

The marketplace has choice. Some people have costs and are doing this as their living. Some people have good jobs or are retired and do it for the love of deer.

Find out in advance what the fees and terms are and then decide how you will spend your money. There is no more or less to it than that.
I dis agree it's a qualification and a set rate should apply. If an AW is just on it for the money then this is wrong. It should be DMQ setting the rates IT wants charged and an AW needs to fall in line with them. As I said a tariff depending on what the candidate NEEDS should be standard..

Bad idea. At present there are a good number of AW's whom witness for no charge. If a fee scale was imposed by DMQ many would lose out!

Any suggestions as to how to make it fair across the board then instead of just not a good idea. I keep hearing horror stories of people getting stung for thousands and then others walking through with a mate over a weekend costing nothing.
Fair point about people making a living out of it as do driving instructors but there should be regulation.

It's fair as it is.
ask the charges upfront and if you don't like it book else where.
its mainly newbies that get stung by stalking charges and I'd not really expect newbies to be booking level 2 stalks.

Nope if there is a chance as you say a newbie can get taken for a ride then it's not a fair system. How long you have or have not been stalking should not mater.
Just to be clear it's not something that I need worry about but think the system is poorly administered and not fair to all.

I agree with Mike.

It's typically not the witnessing that's expensive, it's the stalking.

I've said on numerous occasions that Candidates should research AW's and not just go for the first off the list. In that respect treat it no differently than any other stalking outing, and know what you're letting yourself in for before you venture out.

I agree with Mike.

It's typically not the witnessing that's expensive, it's the stalking.

I've said on numerous occasions that Candidates should research AW's and not just go for the first off the list. In that respect treat it no differently than any other stalking outing, and know what you're letting yourself in for before you venture out.
Well that's the point it's not just any other stalking outing is it. It's under test conditions who's responsibility is DMQ to make sure it's fair in both cost and outcome. No guarantee of course but you are still working to a certification under DMQ and LANTRA recognised.

Well that's the point it's not just any other stalking outing is it. It's under test conditions who's responsibility is DMQ to make sure it's fair in both cost and outcome. No guarantee of course but you are still working to a certification under DMQ and LANTRA recognised.

To be 100% correct, no, it's not a test. The candidate is being observed to see if they meet the defined criteria. So the candidate can go out, stalk, shoot a deer, and larder it, just like any other outing. The only difference is whether or not they've met the defined criteria. The AW can't train or stop the candidate (except for safety reasons) so why should it be different than a stalking outing?

DMQ set the standard, which all AW's sign up to.
DMQ set no charge for witnessing, so it should be totally transparent how much AW's charge for this service.
Every AW's situation is different, so how could DMQ set one price?

What could be simpler?

Back