Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55 or 7x64?

6.5x55 or 7x64?

Hullo all,

Im inteding to become a one rifle man. Was going to be a .7mm-08 but not anymore! So Im thinging one of the above. It will be used on roe and reds mainly, both woodland and hill, but hopefully the other species too!

I have some experiance of the 6.5 and like it, but have heard very good things from scandi-wegians about the 7x64, plus it has the oddball attraction!

The gun is going to be a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless, if that makes any diffence. And I think I will mod it (PES T12).

Anything you want to say just jump in, all experiances helpfull

Thanks
    Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Hi Sam

I have the whole range from 22 to 458 Lott but my favourite medium caliber is the 7x64. Just a little flatter trajectory giving one a little more range. Std bullet is 1389gn for fox,roe and fallow but good up to 175 gns for red stags and wild boars. Also good if you want to shoot on Europe.

Mark

My mate Gary has a 7x64 and is very pleased with it. He did find it punchy on the shoulder when at the range, but when stalking he never noticed it. He has moderated it now and says it is a "pussy cat"! All I can tell you about it is that when he hits fallow they drop. With my 6.5x55 they can run a bit. Some do, some don't, but his 7x64 drops them. Thousands of continental shooters cannot be wrong. It's a good boar round too!

There is a 695 deluxe 7x64 in Gunmart this month!

ft

Edit; I will always have a place for a 6.5x55 in my cabinet, I love it
    Last edited by flytie; 23-04-2010 at 20:47. Reason: C.R.A.F.T moment
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I must admit I have a weakness for the 6.5 too, and Im leaning that way, if nothing else but the 9 month waiting list for a 7x64 . And Kristoffer Clausen uses one!

One day I shall have a 9.3x74r . I shot one a few years ago, double by Kreigoff (I think) and it was lovely!

Sam

btw FT, I love your editing notes
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

I've had a few rifles over the years and I have to say that 7x64 has been an eye opener. Even in a light weight Sauer 90 it dosn't kick too badly ( no moddy). Accuracy even with factory ammo is sub 1'' at 100yds. Good medicine for even big pigs and it does not fall foul of Frances no-military caliber laws. It has a certain rarity value over here and is well respected on the continent. In short, I don't think you would regret either caliber but you might just enjoy the 7x64 a little more each time you remove it from the cabinet.

I have built many 7mm Express Remington (the US version of the 7x64) and found them to be outstandingly accurate and deadly on game.~Muir

One Tikka T3 Lite/Stainless ordered for 1st June! In... 6.5x55. There we go, the Swedish just seemed a bette rbet for what Im doing at the moment. Thanks for you advice chaps.

Just for the record Its going to be unbalanced by a PES mod, topped with a S&B 8x56, and leant on a Harris 13"-24".

Cheers

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    One Tikka T3 Lite/Stainless ordered for 1st June! In... 6.5x55. There we go, the Swedish just seemed a bette rbet for what Im doing at the moment. Thanks for you advice chaps.

Just for the record Its going to be unbalanced by a PES mod, topped with a S&B 8x56, and leant on a Harris 13"-24".

Cheers

Sam
    you will not regret it mate , ive got a tikka t3 lite 6.5x55 with a 8x56 s&b and t8 mod and the only thing that will unballence it will be the bi pod ! and if you home load try AT YOUR OWN RISK

48gn RL22

cci large rifle primer

140gn hornady sst

seated 3.100" but obviously your rifle will be different !

in my rifle produses sub inch group and zeroed 1" high @ 100m and 1 1/2" -2 " drop @ 200m and at 2800 fps basicly replicates the 270 !!

enjoy your new tool

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

Cheers

Sam
    Another convert to the dark side Sorry, to the swede I meant.............honest

ft
    Last edited by flytie; 24-04-2010 at 17:17. Reason: The dog did it......
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Have you given any thought to a .260 or even a .260AI if you fancy something a bit different? Calum Ferguson, who it might be suggested knows his stuff, at Precision Rifles suggested the .260 to a friend of mine during a re-barrelling job who was looking for a do it all calibre to include sika deer. Very accurate and becoming more popular.