Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grouping advice wanted please

Grouping advice wanted please

Evening gents,

Just bought myself a new toy, a secondhand Tikka T3 in 308, sat in a Bell & Carson and wearing a T8.

The chap I bought it off gave me around a hundred rounds, some Sako Gamehead 123gr, Sako Hammerhead 150gr and Hornady Superformance 150gr SST. It was zeroed with the SST but with little difference between the 3. I have been out several times now and have managed some good groups with the SST, an average one shown below at just over half inch at 100 yards.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	60408

With the 123gr Gamehead I cannot get a decent group, this is average at 2 inches! Shot same time, same place, same way so pretty sure it's not me.

Views:	47 
Size:	226.4 KB 
ID:	60409

I haven't seen this before in any rifle, could it be it just doesn't like this ammo? I haven't yet tried the Hammerheads (not sure if they are a bit overkill for anything other than boar, so I was told?) so I guess I have to just try some other ammo, or stick with the SST?

My only worry is the SST doing the mincing before I have even skinned anything I have shot.

Grateful for thoughts of anyone who knows more about this ballistics game than me.

Quote Originally Posted by karlbird View Post
    Evening gents,

Just bought myself a new toy, a secondhand Tikka T3 in 308, sat in a Bell & Carson and wearing a T8.

The chap I bought it off gave me around a hundred rounds, some Sako Gamehead 123gr, Sako Hammerhead 150gr and Hornady Superformance 150gr SST. It was zeroed with the SST but with little difference between the 3. I have been out several times now and have managed some good groups with the SST, an average one shown below at just over half inch at 100 yards.

Views:	69 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	60408

With the 123gr Gamehead I cannot get a decent group, this is average at 2 inches! Shot same time, same place, same way so pretty sure it's not me.

Views:	47 
Size:	226.4 KB 
ID:	60409

I haven't seen this before in any rifle, could it be it just doesn't like this ammo? I haven't yet tried the Hammerheads (not sure if they are a bit overkill for anything other than boar, so I was told?) so I guess I have to just try some other ammo, or stick with the SST?

My only worry is the SST doing the mincing before I have even skinned anything I have shot.

Grateful for thoughts of anyone who knows more about this ballistics game than me.
    Rifles have preferences. The SAKO ammo doesn't agree with your rifle so it's probably time to move on.~Muir

My Tikka T3 clover leaf with the geco, with the PPU shoots like a shotgun

My Steyr does the same with Sako 100gr Gamehead 2 inch groups at 100 yards, then Norma 100gr soft points will group 1/4 inch at 100 yards; it just doesn't like the Sako ammo, simple answer don't use it. Try some different soft points and see what it likes.

My Blaser R8 .243 is great with reloads & factory ammo ... except Sako 100grns, it can just happen that some loads/makes will not work well in your rifle, stick to what you have confidence in.

atb Tim

i have yet to acquire a rifle that likes sako ammo
    2x.270's
    1x.243
    2x.222 (including a SAKO!)

all produced 2-4" groups
    similarly with PPU

some others will get cloverleafs.

take it on the chin and move on

Karl what makes you think that the 150grn Hammerhead is only suitable for tougher game? It's a fine classic design bullet suitable for most deer species and one that usually shoots well in most rifles.
    Looks like your Tikka doesn't particularly like the lighter 123grn bullet so what just move on, don't personally like the idea or see the point of light bullets in a .308 myself unless its for shooting fox and even then I would normally reach for something lighter again.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

+1 sounds like it doesn't like the 123 ammo. The Sako 150 super hammerhead is great for all UK deer, try it and see how you go

I use 150g super hammerheads on Roe and its fine with meat damage similar to my 243 but groups real well. I tried 123g and found it was all over.
    bryn

Brilliant, thanks guys. I haven't encountered rounds my other rifles didn't like, so its good to know its normal.

I was only going on what I was told about the 150r Hammerheads by the guy who sold me the rifle, I don't shoot many deer so didn't want to ruin one when I do, I will take the above and give it a go.