Grouping advice wanted please

karlbird

Evening gents,

Just bought myself a new toy, a secondhand Tikka T3 in 308, sat in a Bell & Carson and wearing a T8.

The chap I bought it off gave me around a hundred rounds, some Sako Gamehead 123gr, Sako Hammerhead 150gr and Hornady Superformance 150gr SST. It was zeroed with the SST but with little difference between the 3. I have been out several times now and have managed some good groups with the SST, an average one shown below at just over half inch at 100 yards.
image.jpg

With the 123gr Gamehead I cannot get a decent group, this is average at 2 inches! Shot same time, same place, same way so pretty sure it's not me.

image.jpg

I haven't seen this before in any rifle, could it be it just doesn't like this ammo? I haven't yet tried the Hammerheads (not sure if they are a bit overkill for anything other than boar, so I was told?) so I guess I have to just try some other ammo, or stick with the SST?

My only worry is the SST doing the mincing before I have even skinned anything I have shot.

Grateful for thoughts of anyone who knows more about this ballistics game than me.

Evening gents,

Just bought myself a new toy, a secondhand Tikka T3 in 308, sat in a Bell & Carson and wearing a T8.

The chap I bought it off gave me around a hundred rounds, some Sako Gamehead 123gr, Sako Hammerhead 150gr and Hornady Superformance 150gr SST. It was zeroed with the SST but with little difference between the 3. I have been out several times now and have managed some good groups with the SST, an average one shown below at just over half inch at 100 yards.
View attachment 60408

With the 123gr Gamehead I cannot get a decent group, this is average at 2 inches! Shot same time, same place, same way so pretty sure it's not me.

View attachment 60409

I haven't seen this before in any rifle, could it be it just doesn't like this ammo? I haven't yet tried the Hammerheads (not sure if they are a bit overkill for anything other than boar, so I was told?) so I guess I have to just try some other ammo, or stick with the SST?

My only worry is the SST doing the mincing before I have even skinned anything I have shot.

Grateful for thoughts of anyone who knows more about this ballistics game than me.

Rifles have preferences. The SAKO ammo doesn't agree with your rifle so it's probably time to move on.~Muir

My Steyr does the same with Sako 100gr Gamehead 2 inch groups at 100 yards, then Norma 100gr soft points will group 1/4 inch at 100 yards; it just doesn't like the Sako ammo, simple answer don't use it. Try some different soft points and see what it likes.

My Blaser R8 .243 is great with reloads & factory ammo ... except Sako 100grns, it can just happen that some loads/makes will not work well in your rifle, stick to what you have confidence in.

atb Tim

i have yet to acquire a rifle that likes sako ammo
2x.270's
1x.243
2x.222 (including a SAKO!)

all produced 2-4" groups
similarly with PPU

some others will get cloverleafs.

take it on the chin and move on

Karl what makes you think that the 150grn Hammerhead is only suitable for tougher game? It's a fine classic design bullet suitable for most deer species and one that usually shoots well in most rifles.
Looks like your Tikka doesn't particularly like the lighter 123grn bullet so what just move on, don't personally like the idea or see the point of light bullets in a .308 myself unless its for shooting fox and even then I would normally reach for something lighter again.

+1 sounds like it doesn't like the 123 ammo. The Sako 150 super hammerhead is great for all UK deer, try it and see how you go

I use 150g super hammerheads on Roe and its fine with meat damage similar to my 243 but groups real well. I tried 123g and found it was all over.
bryn

Brilliant, thanks guys. I haven't encountered rounds my other rifles didn't like, so its good to know its normal.

I was only going on what I was told about the 150r Hammerheads by the guy who sold me the rifle, I don't shoot many deer so didn't want to ruin one when I do, I will take the above and give it a go.

Have you cleaned it thoroughly since you bought it? My .243 was similar when I first used it. I gave the barrel a full deep clean, removing all the copper fouling (was a lot!), and it turned 2in groups into 3/4in groups straight away.

Evening gents,

View attachment 60408

View attachment 60409

Hi Karlbird,

I have a Tikka T3 Varmint in .308 win and it will group half an inch at 100m with Sako 123gr gameheads, I have also tried the Sako 180gr super hammerheads and there good also but I prefer the 123gr which I have now zeroed at 150m which gives me a good range without adjustments between 50m to 200m.

I have also got a Sako 85 Varmint in .223 rem and that loves Sako 55gr gameheads and will clover leaf all day long, so to say I'm a big fan of Sako ammo yes most definitely my rifles love them.

Neil.

I should make it clear that I was referring to Hammerheads and not Super Hammerheads when I posted earlier.

Otisthedog, I did clean it, but then have used it and cleaned it several times - it has made no difference.

I guess as pointed out, its one of those things, but like anything you haven't seen before wanted to make sure it wasn't anything to worry about.

Have you cleaned it thoroughly since you bought it? My .243 was similar when I first used it. I gave the barrel a full deep clean, removing all the copper fouling (was a lot!), and it turned 2in groups into 3/4in groups straight away.

No doubt it happened but it's hard to believe. All other test conditions were the same but for a 'deep' cleaning?~Muir

(That expression always makes me cringe. Reminds me of someone talking about having an enema)

What can I say, but after advice from a riflesmith that it could be excessive copper fouling, it took several attempts brushing and soaking the bore with wipeout to remove all of the copper. Totally transformed the accuracy, using the same two types of factory ammo. Maybe I also shot better that day?!

What can I say, but after advice from a riflesmith that it could be excessive copper fouling, it took several attempts brushing and soaking the bore with wipeout to remove all of the copper. Totally transformed the accuracy, using the same two types of factory ammo. Maybe I also shot better that day?!

Could be. It's just that I have rifles that I've never cleaned the copper out of yet they shoot as well as I could ask for. Only my 17 MachIV got picky about copper and then the groups went from 1/4" to half-inch! ~Muir

Back