View Poll Results: Should stalking qualifications lead to cheaper insurance?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Bring it on!

10 40.00%
  • NO! Don't be a silly Monkey!

15 60.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheaper insurance for advanced stalkers?

Cheaper insurance for advanced stalkers?

Right then, following the recent DSC 2 threads, I feel a contentious Poll coming on!
    Research has shown that people passing the advanced driver test are two thirds less likely to have an accident. So it's not unreasonable for successful applicants to expect a reduction in insurance premiums which many companies now offer.

So..........

If a stalker has an advanced stalking qualification (DSC 2?), should they not also qualify for cheaper stalking insurance??
    Maybe 10% for DSC 1, 20% for DSC 2?
    This would also promote training offered by the same bodies that offer insurance.

MS

No, a certificate doesn't make someone safe, or less likely to have a genuine accident; that said I do believe that some form of NCB would be a good idea - thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by CO5332 View Post
    No, a certificate doesn't make someone safe, or less likely to have a genuine accident; that said I do believe that some form of NCB would be a good idea - thoughts?
    But statistic show that advanced driving certificate holders are 66.6% less likely to have an accident?
    Not sure what a 'genuine' accident is unless you refer to false claims?
    MS

DSC2 could be achieved over a long weekend, Adv Driving no!

IMO I think that given in this sport there are a lot of people with experience, a NCB type system means that for those who have no need to get a qual (and there will be a good few - not me) it makes it fairer across the board.

by genuine accident I don't mean fraud - I mean that sometimes, no matter how experienced someone is, **** does happen! Most of the time they are either unaware, or through pure luck they get away with it, but no one is perfect

DSC 2 can be achieved in a lot less time than a long weekend! I've done all 3 stalks a couple of times in a morning! However, it takes a lot longer for the stalker to get to that level where they are ready for assessment. I like the 'No Claims Bonus' idea as well though!
    MS

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    But statistic show that advanced driving certificate holders are 66.6% less likely to have an accident?
    MS
    Ah, but what the stats really show is that those who have passed the advanced test are 2/3rds less likely to claim. I propose, based on the fact that I know 3 people who have done the advanced test and none of them are older than 23, that this has more to do with the fact that most people bothering to do the advanced test are recently passed drivers who stand to benefit most from reduced premiums. Most people who have been driving for a few years won't bother because they already get cheap insurance and rightly or wrongly view themselves as 'good' drivers. Now recently passed drivers are most likely to drive crappy cars. As a result of this and their sky high premiums they are unlikely to claim anyway. Certainly for me, even if i had completely written off my first car it wouldn't have been economical to claim because my premiums would have gone up more than the car was worth, assuming someone would insure me at all after a crash. This is also the case for little claims, if i scratched my car in the car park i would just drive a scratched car, whereas my father in the same situation but with his many years protected no claims would probably claim and get it fixed, thereby scewing the results further. Young drivers are also much more likely to be insured 3rd party, fire and theft as well, which may reduce claims even more.

My business insurance is nearly £200 per month, household insurance £90 per month, life insurance & income insurance £100 per month, business car insurance £20 per month, ongoing annual family travel insurance £80 per year & shooting/stalking insurance can be had from about £30 PER YEAR; I'm not sure I could be bothered to fill in the paperwork to get a discount!

No, like like Colin solway said in his previous post on dsc2.

I would rather be leading a stalk with a stalker with eg 5 years experiance culling plenty of deer and excellent field skills behind me than someone with very little experience having gained dsc1&2 quickly.
    i would work it on a no claims bonus.
    A new starter for us has just recently passed their driving test but I won't allow him to drive our vechiles until at least six months experience.

One of my shooting colleagues works in wholesale insurance,he explained that premiums are based on the risk undertaken and previous claims history for any particular group. In the case of DSC2 holders you would need to statistically establish the claims history & size of claim vs other shooters as a whole, it is possible that the sample size is too small to determine any difference. To go off topic a little the original discussion arose because of the belief that the Isle of Wight has less crimes like house burglaries than the mainland. Apparently this is an illusion, in terms of insurance statistics the island no different from any other non-metropolitan area in the south east.

atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    MS
    As Disraeli said there are lies damn lies and statistics. A no claims discount is fairer, the assumption that somebody with DSC1 /2 is safe with a rifle is rubbish. A couple of hours playing hunter on a course doesn't make anybody safe, years of experience does.
    Last edited by Dragunov; 24-08-2015 at 07:07.

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?