Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smocks, which one?

Smocks, which one?

Hi,

With my Seeland jacket nearing retirement after 5yrs it's time for a new one.
    I like the idea of a smock but wanted views on which is best for sub 180?
    Seeland Eton
    Ridgeline Monsoon
    Deerhunter Tempest

Appreciate they're not the same price points but looking for actual experience.
    Ta

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    Hi,

With my Seeland jacket nearing retirement after 5yrs it's time for a new one.
    I like the idea of a smock but wanted views on which is best for sub 180?
    Seeland Eton
    Ridgeline Monsoon
    Deerhunter Tempest

Appreciate they're not the same price points but looking for actual experience.
    Ta
    I have 2 Ridgeline monsoons (at the price Scott country were knocking them out at I couldn't resist ) they are a great cold weather smock, mine have been 100% waterproof in some awful weather, however they do need an underlayer to wick sweat away from you, they are not a smock for walking around in on a humid summer evening in a teeshirt! for sitting in a winter high seat they are superb.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

I went to the army surplus the other day and got an Austrian goretex smock with three pockets all zipped in green for 30

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    I have 2 Ridgeline monsoons (at the price Scott country were knocking them out at I couldn't resist ) they are a great cold weather smock, mine have been 100% waterproof in some awful weather, however they do need an underlayer to wick sweat away from you, they are not a smock for walking around in on a humid summer evening in a teeshirt! for sitting in a winter high seat they are superb.
    It'll be primarily for Hinds on the Hill in Jan, sounds like a good bet.
    Any feedback on sizes?

They fitted me and that's a job nowadays (lots of x's in size)
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

I have a ridgeline monsoon and would not have another even if it was free, you would sweat less if you wrapped yourself in binbags.

Quote Originally Posted by roebuck220 View Post
    I have a ridgeline monsoon and would not have another even if it was free, you would sweat less if you wrapped yourself in binbags.
    What version as the new elite is supposed to be more breathable but that said sweat is a fact of life and you need to work out what is best for you as an individual. What works for one man may not work for another.

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    It'll be primarily for Hinds on the Hill in Jan, sounds like a good bet.
    Any feedback on sizes?
    I wouldn't buy a ridgeline for Hind stalking on the hill, I used mine for that last season and it was terrible, water came in on the elbows very quick and you still get hot walking in them in the winter in Scotland! Then when your waiting for a shot you get cold very quick from sweat inside. I used it for a whole week on a cull in a foot of snow so a good test but it failed miserably. That was an old model but I would be surprised if the newer ones are a great deal better.

I have invested in Swazi and would recommend anyone to do the same, they ain't cheap but you won't need to buy anything again.

Paramo - great to wear , best for waterproofing and don't overheat

I have just got a fortis smoak and a Deer Hunter tempest smoak as well . But I have not tried them out yet. Both well made . Will post when I have tried them.
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks