Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Venison: The Game Larder

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Venison: The Game Larder

Just received my copy of "Venison: The Game Larder" by Josť Souto (Venison: The Game Larder: Amazon.co.uk: Jose Souto, Steve Lee: 9781906122966: Books) which I saw referenced on Facebook yesterday as a book that should be in every deer stalker's library. I see now that they have a Facebook page that covers the making of the book (https://www.facebook.com/thegamelarder?fref=ts)

Certainly at first glance it looks to be a cut above the normal recipe book. It is large format with a very clear layout and some super photos, together with what looks to be solid reference material about the different species of deer, stalking, etc.

Will perhaps post something more detailed once I've properly reviewed it over a glass of single malt
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Sounds good!
    Is there any instructional material on butchery in there?
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

i think i know someone who will be getting this for a present haha,,,
    .22lr, .22lr .222, .223, .243, .270, .308 , 12g fac, 12g, 12g, 12g, 12g
    and still growing.....

About time some one wrote a book that tells of the different deer that make up the meat we call venison. Because it sure tastes different so I would imagine it cooks different.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 25-08-2015 at 13:34.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Sounds good!
    Is there any instructional material on butchery in there?
    Indeed there is - about 20 well-illustrated pages covering everything from skinning and jointing the carcass to preparing each cut of meat.

Purchased two copies of this wonderful book at the CLA Game Fair after watching the author together with another deer stalker/chef skin and butcher a roe buck. Beautifully put together, looks good in the gun room and has some excellent photographs and illustrations. Worth a look (bought the second copy for the wife if my stalking buddy).

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Indeed there is - about 20 well-illustrated pages covering everything from skinning and jointing the carcass to preparing each cut of meat.
    Excellent,
    I'll start dropping hints!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Have just finished a quick page-by-page look through the book.

It really is beautifully put together, and the author and photographer are clearly passionate about deer and venison. There are a couple of minor typos (anal tush, rather than anal tuft, and British Association for Shooting and Conservation, not of) but these should not detract from what is a very worthy addition to any stalker's, or chef's, bookshelf.

There is a good discussion of the flavours of venison from different species, and some recipes that I can't recall seeing before and that sound delicious. There's also a good debate on the problems of over-population of deer and why they need to be controlled, a description of different types of stalking, and (dare I say it) even a mention of DSC1 and 2 and how venison is better than the intensively reared meat that most consumers are familiar with. There's also a nice critique of the whole episode of the Emperor of Exmoor .

All in all a very enjoyable read, or at least based on those parts I've dipped in to.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Have just finished a quick page-by-page look through the book.

It really is beautifully put together, and the author and photographer are clearly passionate about deer and venison. There are a couple of minor typos (anal tush, rather than anal tuft, and British Association for Shooting and Conservation, not of) but these should not detract from what is a very worthy addition to any stalker's, or chef's, bookshelf.

There is a good discussion of the flavours of venison from different species, and some recipes that I can't recall seeing before and that sound delicious. There's also a good debate on the problems of over-population of deer and why they need to be controlled, a description of different types of stalking, and (dare I say it) even a mention of DSC1 and 2 and how venison is better than the intensively reared meat that most consumers are familiar with. There's also a nice critique of the whole episode of the Emperor of Exmoor .

All in all a very enjoyable read, or at least based on those parts I've dipped in to.
    +1
    Got my copy last week and highly recommended, great photos and some recipes I am looking forward to trying.

Bought a copy at the CLA after watching the Jose and Mike demo - very good book and really well photographed and set up - apparently it took 8 years to put together!

Interesting typo pointed out by Dom - I was taught it was a tush and not a tuft!

Thoroughly recommend the book to any amateur or budding chef/stalker.