Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grouse Report 2015 - Has Anyone Been Shooting Yet?

Grouse Report 2015 - Has Anyone Been Shooting Yet?

Has anyone been up on the grouse this year? The forecasts were terrible but I haven't seen any reports of how the season started. I'm trying to calibrate my expectations for my first (very modest) day next weekend so I'm not too disappointed if it's awful!

I do some grouse counting and it seems a trend for many around the Peak District to be around 60% down and therefore not shooting this year.

A day on the moor will never be 'awful', u just might not get as many bangs as usual but thats the way grouse goes. Grouse numbers have been good for a long time now there always was going to be a bust

Bet many would rather an 'awful' day at the grouse just once in there life's.

The keper was writing in this weeks ST saying some areas are actually doing ok generally the further south, further east and drier lower moors are doing better but still never going to be a bumper year. But the highrer wetter mooors are very poor
    2 moors i usually go to aren't shooting this year althou 1 may possibly put a very late day on yet

You're absolutely right, I don't mean awful; I'm just speaking in relative terms on the most straightforward metric. I have spent many lovely days on the hills and in the fields and woods with gun or rifle, and not fired a shot. However, I'm sure you must admit to a tinge of disappointment on occasion when a trip doesn't live up to expectations?!

High percentage of old to young getting shot, so not a good start and not a good year ahead.

M

On a related note, I noticed that my local butcher had quite a few grouse yesterday, and given that I'm home alone later this week, I'll take the opportunity to eat grouse for the first time. It's one of those things that I'd said I'll taste when I shoot one, but given that there's no realistic prospect of that happening on the horizon, I may as well support my local butcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser243 View Post
    High percentage of old to young getting shot, so not a good start and not a good year ahead.
    I take it you mean that this is a bad thing because it indicates that fewer young birds have fledged successfully, since in a "normal" year, shooting a good proportion of older birds is preferable?
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    A day on the moor will never be 'awful', u just might not get as many bangs as usual but thats the way grouse goes. Grouse numbers have been good for a long time now there always was going to be a bust

Bet many would rather an 'awful' day at the grouse just once in there life's.

The keper was writing in this weeks ST saying some areas are actually doing ok generally the further south, further east and drier lower moors are doing better but still never going to be a bumper year. But the highrer wetter mooors are very poor
    2 moors i usually go to aren't shooting this year althou 1 may possibly put a very late day on yet
    I was fortunate enough to be invited to a very small walked-up day a week last Saturday (15th) in Cumbria; unkeepered moor, a handful of guns and dogs, and a hope of half-decent weather....

Grouse were seen, 5 shots were fired in total - bag at the end of the day? Nil. Enjoyment had by me? Huge.

Spectacular scenery, good company, the opportunity to do something different, dogs covering the moor.....it really was a very enjoyable day, and the lack of a bird in the gamebag certainly didn't detract from that for me.
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Just back from my week in North Yorks.
    We had great sport and saw plenty of birds, our kill ratio old to young was 1-4 so they bred well.
    The owners and keepers are expecting another record breaking year!, although seeing the group shooting the day after us was pettyfull one bird per 12 shots on driven august birds is shamefull.
    I know Derbyshire and both sides the pennine spine upto and including scotland have generaly had poor breeding and a huge amount of moors are not shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    I take it you mean that this is a bad thing because it indicates that fewer young birds have fledged successfully, since in a "normal" year, shooting a good proportion of older birds is preferable?

You are correct

M