Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Screws on Mounts?

Oil Screws on Mounts?

Hi All,

I have just ordered some Leupold Mauser mounts for my .308 Parker Hale, and had a quick look at a video guide (I think by Leupold) which said you can use Loctite on the screws, but they recommend no loctite, but gun oil instead. This seems counter-productive, as surely we are looking to stop the screws moving once they are in there? I understand this would help with anti-rust but wouldn't Loctite achieve the same without the potential for loosening over time?

Any advise or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

Purpose of the oil is to lubricate the screw as it is torqued up and to get the correct torque.

Thank you for the video.

Would you expect it to be okay long term with the oil then, and not prone to wriggling loose? - I wouldnt be using a torque wrench so probably wont get the full benefit of adding the oil.

Cheers,

Ryan

well i removed a set of mounts off a rifle that have been on there for 30 plus years and were still tight. A well fitting screw driver and a firm turn and out they came. The trouble with Loctite is that you risk real damage if you ever need to remove the screws, given that can need to use quite a bit of torque to get them out. You risk stripping screw heads and or hx heads etc. Which then requires drilling out and using a screw extractor etc. You don't need a lot of force - just tight - as per the video.

The whole principle of a screw holding firm is that the screw is under a bit of tension and all of the male threads are thus tensioned against all of the female threads. Unwind the a thread of even a small screw you actually have quite a large surface area. If all of that surface area is gripping it will hold properly. A little bit lubricant helps that grip to be applied across a large surface area. With no lube, just the high points grip and gall so it will feel tight, but its not. And yes even on a perfectly fitted thread there will be high points.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 24-08-2015 at 11:14.

Great, thanks for your help, I'll go with the gun oil then!

Trying to avoid overthinking it on details but will this stuff be suitable or should I get a non aerosol version?

http://www.yorkguns.com/parker-hale-...aerosol-150-ml

This is what I use at the moment.

Cheers,

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricJackal View Post
    Great, thanks for your help, I'll go with the gun oil then!

Trying to avoid overthinking it on details but will this stuff be suitable or should I get a non aerosol version?

http://www.yorkguns.com/parker-hale-...aerosol-150-ml

This is what I use at the moment.

Cheers,

Ryan
    if that's what you have available and you want to use gun oil on the screws I'd use the spray.
    id probably spray a bit onto a cloth and then transfer the oil from the cloth to the Screws, but that's just me..... I'd feel more in control of the amount applied that way.

Great, I'll go with that, thank you both for the help!

Ryan

I don't use Loctite. I very lightly oil the screws, and tighten to specs, but no more, because they are so small.

Normally, on larger bolts, if you oil the threads, and want to preload the bolts, or not have them loosen under vibration, you must torque them 20% higher than dry threads.

I bought a mint Steyr Mannlicher at a deep discount because someone had used the wrong thread locker and broken off two screws. I had to drill them out with a diamond bit, heat them with a micro torch, and use a tiny extractor to back out the hollowed screws.

Thanks Southern, I'll take care to get them as close as I can to the spec in the absence of a torque wrench/driver, as I don't fancy my chances of getting a snapped bolt out!

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Normally, on larger bolts, if you oil the threads, and want to preload the bolts, or not have them loosen under vibration, you must torque them 20% higher than dry threads.
    Actually, contrary to what one would think, you should reduce the torque by 25% when using a lubricant. There are several internet articles covering this. Here is one. http://www.antiseize.com/pdf/torque_specifications.pdf