Thread: Train tickets

Train tickets

I know this is the "off topic" forum, but this is completely off topic. I just dropped off my son with his na na at London Liverpool St. All good there, train left Norwich on time and arrived in London on time. My wife, however had booked my return ticket with a bit of "windage" to allow for any delays, for 14:30, leaving me with about 2 hours to kill. I went to the ticket office to see if I could change the time of the journey for an hour earlier. To change it would have cost over 30!!!!##?:#$ The bloody ticket only cost 11.55 in the first place! So, I'm now sat in The Magpie on New Street enjoying free Wi Fi and a couple of pints of Trooper. (Being ex cavalry I thought it only fitting as soon as I saw the pump on the bar) Cheers.
    Last edited by Harry mac; 24-08-2015 at 12:52.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Sounds about right for the train services over here!

I work in London and pay a huge fare for my season ticket, for a service thats either broken down, late or on strike.

Well that sounds like a winner all round, you saved 30 and are enjoying a quite pint. What's the complaint exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Well that sounds like a winner all round, you saved 30 and are enjoying a quite pint. What's the complaint exactly?
    Because one pint's not enough, so you have to have two, don't you? And then you notice thay they do a very nice cheese burger and a pint deal for 9. Before I knew it my 30 pound saving was down to just a 14 saving!
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

I would have (and have done) just got on the one I wanted and pleaded ignorant. The conductor wouldn't have even noticed (or cared) as it's not as if you hadn't bought a ticket after all. You worry too much Harry! Some might even suggest that it was a deliberate ploy (not me obviously)!

Baguio

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    I would have (and have done) just got on the one I wanted and pleaded ignorant. The conductor wouldn't have even noticed (or cared) as it's not as if you hadn't bought a ticket after all.
    All well and good - and as you say most Conductors wouldn't give a stuff. Heaven help you if you fall foul of the 'Revenue Protection Officers' who clearly get a buzz out of issuing penalty fares... A working life: the revenue protection officer | Money | The Guardian