Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Layering system

Layering system

Can any of you clothing experts talk me through how to set Up a proper layering system.? I was in the sheep shed all day today, wearing my swazi, and I was a bit disappointed with the ammount of internal sweat in my coat! Either yet another disappointing garment, bad layering, or the fact I should loose some weight.,.??

I'm going to watch this one ,
    Everybody is different but I sweat easily , ( unfit yes ! But even when was fit I sweat )

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    Can any of you clothing experts talk me through how to set Up a proper layering system.? I was in the sheep shed all day today, wearing my swazi, and I was a bit disappointed with the ammount of internal sweat in my coat! Either yet another disappointing garment, bad layering, or the fact I should loose some weight.,.??
    I'm intrigued as to why you were wearing a coat all day inside in the middle of summer! The outcome doesn't seem too surprising to me.

Have a look at a good website from a clothing manufacturer (shooting - Harkila, mountaineering try Mountain Equipment or Cotswold Outdoor, the principal is the same) that should help.

I have found a merino base layer to be one of the best additions to my outdoor clothing collection, try Helly Hansen or Icebreaker.

I agree with Karlbird; whether it's hot or cold merino wool is brilliant as a base layer, and especially for socks. If cool, then an insulating layer on top (fleece/lightweight syn or down jacket/merino jumper). Shell on top, either wind proof or waterproof depending on the conditions. For all its relative breathability I only wear gore-tex when it's likely to be wet or if I'm going to be static. It still gets pretty sweaty when you're moving. Fundamental to it all is that you need to be prepared to add or remove layers as that's really what keeps you comfortable. Loads of info out there but it's definitely worth experimenting with different combos yourself. I hope that helps..

I use these,Genuine British Army MTP Issue Olive Coolmax T-Shirt, New | eBay And these,You can also use multiples of as they are really thin & lightweight, great for stalking, just take it off, hold into a breeze & they are bone dry in minutes, can be stuffed into a small ish pocket too.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    I'm intrigued as to why you were wearing a coat all day inside in the middle of summer! The outcome doesn't seem too surprising to me.
    Because it was pouring with rain all day here yesterday. And sorry to confuse you, but when I'm in the sheep sheds it also includes jumping in and out into the outside yards so I kept my coat on all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    I'm going to watch this one ,
    Everybody is different but I sweat easily , ( unfit yes ! But even when was fit I sweat )

Paul
    Ha ha. Me too. I would describe myself as a fat fit person!

Suffolk [North; where the pines and pigs are]
    +3 on the merino...socks, underwear, t-shirts and sweaters: get the lot!! It'll keep you cool when it's hot and warm when it's cold AND it doesn't get stinky if worn for several days on the trot, unlike man made fibres [although it does take longer to dry]

Check out Sportpursuit who have flash sales on any amount of kit, including Icebreaker merino at the moment [most flash sales last for seven days and have up to 50% reductions]