Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying rifle in USA and bringing to UK

buying rifle in USA and bringing to UK

A question on behalf of an American relative:

He has a UK FAC (been resident here for 5 years).
    He is a US citizen.
    He's seen a rifle he wants to buy in the US (and for which he has an open slot on his UK ticket).

What does he need to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post

He is a US citizen.
    He's seen a rifle he wants to buy in the US (and for which he has an open slot on his UK ticket).

What does he need to do?
    I'm doing this at the moment. Only difference is that I'm here and getting it imported for me via an importer. It (the gun)has to have an export licence as does the seller (US side), and the guy who deals with the packaging and airfreight states side also needs a licence.
    Then the importer and handler this end needs to be licenced as well. In short it's a really expensive and complex way of purchasing a rifle also not to mention the VAT and import tax as well. I'm only doing this as it's a rare rifle I'm importing and I'm hoping it's all going to be worth while. If it is just a standard production rifle they're after I'd advise that they just buy it here, would be cheaper in the long run I'd bet.

Hope that helps.

So what if he is physically in the States, buys it there, and then wants to bring it back as a bit of personal property?

I should add that the gun in question (I think) is second hand.
    Last edited by Mungo; 26-08-2015 at 10:17.

I'm not to sure, but I know I couldn't send my friend, who's an RFD, to collect mine for me as he didn't have an import licence. I know it's a bloody minefield. He would have to pay VAT and import tax as he wouldn't have a visitors permit/licence and his ticket would be registered to a UK address. I doubt there is an easy way but please let me know how he gets on.

I am in the same boat. I purchased a rifle, while still living in the US, but, because I had no FAC was unable to bring it with me. I contact the US State Department and found I could get a one-off license to ship the type of rifle I had, but I had to find a carrier that would do it. Bottom line, I will need to return to the US, once I have my FAC and retrieve it. Once I arrive in the UK, I can declare it and have it added to my FAC.

The United States, according to the State Department (and import/export of weapons is their responsibility) could care less what weapons leave the United States, it is only concerned with those entering America.

Hope this helps a wee bit.

Grant

I brought one back about 7-8 years ago as a personal import, your mates fac is his import licence.I checked mine in at Chicago O'Hare in a locked case went through red at heathrow and picked it up.As it was worth less than my personal import allowance(now 390 I believe)no taxes to pay.Customs refused to put it on my FAC not their job they said.
    Actually a very simple process

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post

He is a US citizen.

What does he need to do?
    1. Ensure that he has a suitable space on his FAC for when he brings it back to the U.K.
    2. Buy the rifle in the USA.
    3. Declare it at customs on return to the U.K.
    4. Inform the Chief Constable who issued his FAC of his acquisition when he gets home. This can be done by email and they will possibly inform him to sign it on himself or arrange for a FEO to sign it on to his certificate.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

What a minefield but lots of great advice here.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    1. Ensure that he has a suitable space on his FAC for when he brings it back to the U.K.
    2. Buy the rifle in the USA.
    3. Declare it at customs on return to the U.K.
    4. Inform the Chief Constable who issued his FAC of his acquisition when he gets home. This can be done by email and they will possibly inform him to sign it on himself or arrange for a FEO to sign it on to his certificate.
    +1 hardest job may be finding a airline.

i can help here if you need it
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class