Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual colour Rabbits.

Arrow Unusual colour Rabbits.

Following on from the Black Hare topic.
    I shot this Rabbit years ago .. anymore unusual colour photos out there?

https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

I bet some kid was devastated when flopsy didn't come home..... how do you sleep at night!!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    I bet some kid was devastated when flopsy didn't come home..... how do you sleep at night!!
    Ha ha! At the same time there was a virtually all white one there but he didn`t last long and fell prey to something else.

Here`s another from way back and a different place ..
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

we get a few multi coloured ones locally, a few years ago one area had loads of black rabbits, must have been someones tame buck got out.

I was shooting at a friends place a month or so ago and there were 7 black rabbits amongst 20+ normal ones just in the corner of one field.

they are like that everywhere now white/red/black/,normal,and any colour inbetween,still taste the same tho,,,
    DONT START

I read an article many years ago about different coloured rabbits, black,brown, grey etc still having that colour gene from the days of the old warrens when the warrener bred the rabbits not only for food but for their coloured fur for clothing. These being the descendants of these having escaped and gone wild. I don't know if this is true but does sound as if it could be a credible explanation.

Not uncommon to see the ginger ones where I'm to. Only ever seen one black one and it wasn't on my permission.

used to shoot on a local golf course and they had black and white rabbits. never seen it ever before.

I have rabbits on my permissions that have grey/white markings/spots in their fur and sometimes "butterflies" on their noses. It is not uncommon to see them, they fall over just the same as any other "wild" rabbits when they get a .22 Sub-Sonic in the head. My guess is that somewhere along the line there was an Old English (pet/domestically bred) rabbit (Or two) that had maybe ascaped or been released and mated and these genes are being passed down.
    It makes no odds to me anyway, I don't cook the skin - the flesh tastes exactly the same regardless of the colour of the fur - I've just had a rather nice Rabbit Madras with Vegetable Fried Rice this evening for tea!