Thread: Which Argocat

Which Argocat

I am thinking of buying an Argocat Magnum. Can I ask those of you who have one, how difficult it is to get spares now? Would I be better buying a conquest? I guess there are second hand parts but there dont seem many advertised anywhere. Any views greatly appreciated.

Contact Mactrax on this forum, he is an argo expert and should be able to answer your queries.... and I would imagien supply parts and service as well if required

Thanks for the heads up Robbie will contact.

No problem with magnum, engine parts off ebay (probably never need major parts) g/box parts from states (cheaper, much cheaper), chains local (No50 duplex), bearings local. Nothing much else on them. Brake pads I always reline myself (or did)

Rod Thank you also for the feedback. I have heard there is little to go wrong with a magnum so fingers crossed the one I am looking at is a good one!

Have a good look, jack it up and check bearings (pain to do), check chains and for hooked sprockets. Make sure you check low, high and reverse, then check again. If you can't test it or get a warranty walk away as gearbox repairs are expensive. Check engine but bare in mind Kohlers can smoke when good (not too much though). Steering brakes should be good and relatively light (may struggle on hot dry concrete). Check it for the dreaded droop, gap should be the same above all tyres.

Thanks for taking the time to send the detailed advice, some very good points to check. Much appreciated

I like the magnum , 20yrs good service , shear pins were a problem, keep the chains tight to there work , check every outing, to avoid slippage and grinding sprockets away, but otherwise been no problems , Kohler engine just seems to go forever. if you dump the magnum nose first or side on in a ditch, at least you can lift it out of trouble , not so easy with the conquest or avenger as they are getting a bit bulky. I would still take the magnum places especially on side slopes that I would have to think about with the other two especially if they were fitted with roll cage/ death trap!

Quote Originally Posted by pitiliedon View Post
    I like the magnum , 20yrs good service , shear pins were a problem, keep the chains tight to there work , check every outing, to avoid slippage and grinding sprockets away, but otherwise been no problems , Kohler engine just seems to go forever. if you dump the magnum nose first or side on in a ditch, at least you can lift it out of trouble , not so easy with the conquest or avenger as they are getting a bit bulky. I would still take the magnum places especially on side slopes that I would have to think about with the other two especially if they were fitted with roll cage/ death trap!

There's a way round the shear pins

Just go for a Polaris Ranger 6x6