Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common practice??

Common practice??

After a couple of years with my first lease I'm starting to catch on - - -is it common practice? or not?
    What I'm reffering to is the keeper popping in and helping himself , not really a suspicion, now a known fact
    Maybe a fortunate time for this to happen as the new lease is awaiting my signature

Depends very much on how the lease is worded. If you have sole rights to shoot the deer, it's theft pure and simple.

I'll say this much - If I'd signed up to a lease where all stalking rights legally belonged to me I would not be impressed if the keeper was helping himself, least of all without consulting and asking permission first. The trust would be breeched and I would be looking elsewhere!

I've had involvement in three leases where poaching became a problem. As all the guns in the syndicates lived a fair way away the local keepers were on the look out for the culprits for us.
    Untill of course the local keepers were caught doing the poaching! not once but on three occasions, it seems they got permission to go on lamping foxes, looking for poachers or setting traps and temptation got the better of them.

i dont know if it is common practice, but i do know of two keepers that where asked to leave thier positions on a very large estate due to pinching deer.

skipp

Hmmm this does the overall reputation of Gamekeepers no good at all .

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by philross View Post
    After a couple of years with my first lease I'm starting to catch on - - -is it common practice? or not?
    What I'm reffering to is the keeper popping in and helping himself , not really a suspicion, now a known fact
    Maybe a fortunate time for this to happen as the new lease is awaiting my signature

This depends on many many factors.
    If its woodland controlled by the Forestry companies such as the Forestry Commision (Who are the biggest transgressors )
    They have an automatic right without redress to go in and wipe out the whole population of deer without consulting at any time of day or night inc lamping them and there is sweet F.A you the lease holder can do about it.

If they see a problem of you not maintaining cull numbers for that area thats the first thing they will do thats a fact.
    Not only that on some leases if you dont match the quota set they will do it and send you a bill for the privalege so be carefull as to what conditions are on the lease before you sign , note not all leases contain these clauses but some do.
    Personally after the dealing I have had with them in the past I would not urinate on them if they were on fire, In all honesty the Woodland Companies I deal with now are excellent but over the last few years we have been maintaining the cull program and also carrying out other wildlife improvements like ride strimming and constructing owl boxes etc at our own expense, but such work that we put in is also reaping rewards.
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 25-04-2010 at 08:35.

If it was me I would ensure that the conditions on the next run of the contract were as watertight as possible.

In your given situation is there any plantings or regen? It may be the case that the keeper is just keeping on top of things. Difficult to comment without all the facts.

If you have been given a number to control and the FC feel you are not getting to that number or some areas are suffering damage because you are only shooting near paths roads ETC it is there policy to let you know of the problem first they will give you time to address the problem. If a Ranger is going in behind your back this is not aloud at all. Deer management must be done in a collaborative manner ,Transparency being the key to a good working relation ship. The numbers that area given on your lease (culls )are set by the Ranger and talk with him will soon put your mind at rest and you . There are no doubt some renegade FC rangers as there are in all walks of life, Who will if they see an opportunity to fill there own cull plan take a beast from were they should not but they are a minority. Don't let them walk over you because you are worried about loosing the ground you paid for it its yours as long as you are fulfilling your side of the contract.

As said i would check conditiond too .If you find he is allowed to take some then you have to weigh up whether the lease is worth renewing.I would try for sole rights but if not possible you may have to have a think as to whether it is still worth the money .Do you still shoot a few deer even with hes interference etc