Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harkila Pro Hunter or Pro Hunter X

Harkila Pro Hunter or Pro Hunter X

Morning All,

I have finally saved up enough money to invest in a pro hunter suit, what is the main differences between the normal pro hunter and the X? Any pro's or cons to the suit? Also thinking about getting a pair of pro hunter boots any help or real world experience would be brilliant. Thanks in advance

ATB

Chris H

i would say steer clear of the boots

2nd that. Great clothing, but boots failed badly in really short space of time.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

i have harkila boots and they have been ok.

i always thought that the difference between the normal and the X is that normal suit is roomier and the X is a bit more tailored.

Spend your money on better clothes they are over priced over hyped and phish pour quality.

6pointer ( Spend your money on better clothes they are over priced over hyped and phish pour quality.)

What would you suggest ?

There is a whole raft of clothing and footwear on the market these days, some of which is very good. The best boots I had were Red Setter from the USA. They outlasted every other boot, although I have never tried Harkila boots. I now have another pair of Mendal boots which I mainly use in Scotland.
    Clothing I have tried a vast array over the years, and have had many overseas clients using Harkila jackets and trousers. In fact most Finnish hunters I have use Harkila.
    It is well made gear, but after a week in the Scottish highlands it still does not keep you completely dry everyday. For the past year I have been field testing the Swazi coat, and I must admit it is not bad at all. It is not well padded, but then you can add layers, I like the hood with the wire insert which covers the face well, when you are in really heavy rain. My only issue is there are no hand warmer pockets which you reach one instinctively reaches for at times.

Some of the American gear is also very good, most of which I have had over the years, and still have, including a complete reversible snow suit coat and bib and brace trousers bought in a sale for $80 about 20 years ago...............still fits me too. I shall be wearing this again when I visit Finland to hunt Whitetail deer later this winter with a couple of good mates.

In my opinion buy the best you can get in clothing and boots, the choice over here is vast, however if you were in the USA the choice would be even greater, and a lot cheaper as well.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

First of all, we are sellers of Harkila. As a family firm we can pick and chose any brand on the market, we chose to sell Harkila because of the quality and value. We don't "do" over priced over hyped and phish pour quality brands end of!.
    We almost never get Harkila Clothing back nor do we get many boots back either. Two reasons, we do our job and sell the correct Garment and boot for the job in hand. Example. Big Game boots are not designed for Stalking in on Skye or the Highlands. When they fail in the conditions, it is because its like wearing sandals to play footy.

Now down to answer the question:
    Pro Hunter is designed for hard wear and stalking, crawling and endurance field sports. The two versions:
    Pro Hunter Classic is heavier than its younger Brother X. Classic has underarm zips as it is warmer X is lighter and therefore does not have these.
    The Classic Trousers do not have breather zips but X does.
    X has articulated elbows and knees

Usage: If you want a suit to lie in snow, driving rain, cold frost, then this is for you. If you are doing a bit of rough shooting it is perfect, but over engineered and you will be buying benefits you will not use. If you are an active hunter who will be using it for all hunting activities, then this is for you.

If you are very energetic and like active hunting, then X is designed for your type of hunting

Harkila Pro Hunter X Jacket

We offer free delivery and Free Returns. If you have any questions, call the store on 01525 211488 and ask for Brendan or Andrew. We are open 7 days
    Last edited by Rugged & Tough; 28-08-2015 at 09:27.

Thank you for the reply's gents I am 6 FT 2 inch and 16 and a half stone. I am a very "hot" person so the Pro Hunter X appeals to me I think. I stalk woodland and use high seats in other situations walk valleys and cover a fair amount of ground. Up around home I have stalking over farmland so again a lot of walking. Very interesting comments Sikamalc a very good friend has a pair of red setters and does swear by them trouble is getting over to the USA or importing them here!!

Quote Originally Posted by chrishorner View Post
    Thank you for the reply's gents I am 6 FT 2 inch and 16 and a half stone. I am a very "hot" person so the Pro Hunter X appeals to me I think. I stalk woodland and use high seats in other situations walk valleys and cover a fair amount of ground. Up around home I have stalking over farmland so again a lot of walking. Very interesting comments Sikamalc a very good friend has a pair of red setters and does swear by them trouble is getting over to the USA or importing them here!!
    Personally I wouldn't buy either, particularly if you are a hot body....

WAY too heavy, WAY too bulky and to make matters worse, the goretex cant do it's job because the face fabric and liners are so thick, dense and HEAVY!!!! if you are moving and start to sweat you will end up wet from the inside and any moisture wont have any efficient means of escape. Very difficult to regulate temperature or moisture in!

I tell you this from experience having owned both PH and PHX in the past and after having more than a few miserable experiences (one of which, on the hill in Scotland in January was down right dangerous!) I realised it just isn't really the right piece of kit for active stalking... bomb proof.. yes... looks good... yes and great if all you are going to do is sit in a high seat all day without expending any energy to get there but if you are going to move and get hot... very poor choice... Also, you will realise, as I did, that your 'rain shell' is the heaviest (by far) piece of kit you are carrying... what's all that about!!!!?????

If you are still determined, I did a write up on the differences between the 2 when I was still nave and thought the most important thing about stalking was to look the part!!!

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/77572-Looking-for-a-Harkila-Expert?highlight=harkila+hunter+pro