Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I tried a kind of Macnab, it started well!

I tried a kind of Macnab, it started well!

Whilst the river was perfect yesterday i couldn't go (wife's birthday) it had dropped a lot overnight but i thought what the hell, lets see if i can get a Stag, Salmon and.....no Grouse in Devon (apart from on Dartmoor but they can't be shot) so i thought a pigeon would do.
    So up i get at the crack of dawn, didn't see a Stag but got a nice Roe Buck, got home, quick breakfast and 4 hours down the river with the fly rod, i knew that would be the difficult part, whilst i didn't get a touch another angler caught a grilse on a spinner.
    I will try again when the river is perfect, i must admit i respect those that have done it the correct way, it is very tiring!

Cheers

Richard
    Last edited by devon deer stalker; 28-08-2015 at 10:55. Reason: spelling

Well done, you may not have the correct species where you live but at least you have tried it in the same spirit as the original Mcnab
    Ray

Always thought about a Dorset McNab

A Sika stag
    A barbel from the Stour or a sea trout from the Frome
    A brace of partridge

Nice buck and day out all the same. I'm gonna try for a Strattnab in a few weeks time as we have some fishing lakes on my perm too which will hopefully consist of a munty (any flavour), a pike (as we can only use spinners), a pigeon (as we can't shoot game) and a charlie when out with the NV kit late on!!

And hopefully I'll do better than the last time when I ended up with a McNowt!!!

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Nice buck and day out all the same. I'm gonna try for a Strattnab in a few weeks time as we have some fishing lakes on my perm too which will hopefully consist of a munty (any flavour), a pike (as we can only use spinners), a pigeon (as we can't shoot game) and a charlie when out with the NV kit late on!!

And hopefully I'll do better than the last time when I ended up with a McNowt!!!

Stratts
    that sounds great fun Mark

mine would be as follows.

shoot a munty or a roe

catch a cold as I have no place to fish even with a spinner.(don't have a rod now ?)

and shoot a brace of part or phes as I have a few on the estate

and cap it all of with a fox at night.

sounds good

and I could call it a Mc Highclere
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

wasnt the original Mc Nab all poached?

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post

Stratts
    You should have stopped on the way home and had a McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    wasnt the original Mc Nab all poached?
    Yes, and it was 2 stags and a salmon, taken by three different people under the single pseudonym of "John McNab".

I done a Holmbush McNab at Malcs gound in West Sussex...2 X ROE, 1 X FOX AND 26 CARP...well we called it a Mcnab!

I've done a type of McNab... A roe buck, brace of partridges - and then because a trout is much easier than a salmon, you had to tie a fly with your roe buck hair and partridge feathers to catch it... Good way to spend a day!