Thread: Panther high seat

Panther high seat

I have a Panther high seat and have been contemplating cutting the shooting rail 5" shorter as it seems very deep in comparison to my fixed high seats. Looks to be a simple job but was wondering if anybody had carried out this modification and what the results were, I expect it would make it a little more bulky for transport.

I support the rail with my sticks when in the seat, quick fix with a velcro strap on the base of the sticks, this fixes the vertical stability but was wondering about lateral movement with a not so deep rail?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0633 (2).jpg   IMG_0634.jpg   IMG_0635 (1).jpg   IMG_0636.jpg  

Health and Safety gone mad having to install a Fire Alarm by your high seat!

In all seriousness though, I like the idea of using your sticks to help stabilise the bar.

Yes the stick idea is a good one Leupsak.

I have a Panther too but I've not found the rail unstable. What bugs me are the squeaks from my wellies against the metal. So I cable tied hessian sandbags around the top rungs and stringers.....and around the rail too just to see off any other squeaks.

I believe the bell is used to summon tea! (no offence intended )
    Last edited by Leadwasp; 28-08-2015 at 13:01.

Thanks guys, your comments are closer to the truth than you think, the fire bell was used to summon the kids to tea when they were running ferral in the street/gardens with the other kids from the street, it worked a treat .

I have had a go at tightening a few of the nuts and bolts and with the sticks in place its nice and steady now so thanks for your replies about not suffering the same lateral movement, it made me check further.

Leadwasp, how is the seat still portable with sandbags strapped to the ladder?
    Its the clinking of balancing a flask on the seat that makes me wince every time I try to pour a tea so I made clip on flask and cup holders each side of the seat, you can see the fixings in the first photo; I then clip plastic plant pots to each clip, one for the flask and a smaller one for the cup. The seat comes with the holes predrilled for the stand legs.

Whats you favourite highseat improvement?
    Last edited by Leupsak; 28-08-2015 at 17:02.

SD Regular
    I would say that many high seats have the rail too close to the user, not too far away. I too use a monopod to stabilise the rail. I'd refrain from cutting the rail - the position for shooting makes up for the bounce.....!!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Leupsak View Post
    Thanks guys, your comments are closer to the truth than you think, the fire bell was used to summon the kids to tea when they were running ferral in the street/gardens with the other kids from the street, it worked a treat .

I have had a go at tightening a few of the nuts and bolts and with the sticks in place its nice and steady now so thanks for your replies about not suffering the same lateral movement, it made me check further.

Leadwasp, how is the seat still portable with sandbags strapped to the ladder?
    Its the clinking of balancing a flask on the seat that makes me wince every time I try to pour a tea so I made clip on flask and cup holders each side of the seat, you can see the fixings in the first photo; I then clip plastic plant pots to each clip, one for the flask and a smaller one for the cup. The seat comes with the holes predrilled for the stand legs.

Whats you favourite highseat improvement?
    Doh! I knew I should have emptied them first......that explains the hernia!