Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beasts Shot

Account Suspended

Beasts Shot

I know a lot of lads on here take all their shot game to game dealers and some take them round to the loacal butcher for sale ,which they are entitled to do as a trained hunter.

I am also aware that some lads grind the lot up even best cuts and make venison custards and widows memories out of them for home consumption.

What do most of you do with yours

Quote Originally Posted by Caprelous View Post
    I know a lot of lads on here take all their shot game to game dealers and some take them round to the loacal butcher for sale ,which they are entitled to do as a trained hunter.

I am also aware that some lads grind the lot up even best cuts and make venison custards and widows memories out of them for home consumption.

What do most of you do with yours
    Cap, Venison Custards

I have a sharing arrangement with most of the owners of my permissions, they have the choice of what venison they want and I have the rest. A lot goes to neighbours of my permissions, for public relations etc. Very occassionally i have had a real surplus, just after Christmas I had 5 fallow in a fortnight, and I butchered, weighed, bagged and sold it myself locally. My nearest game dealer is not a good payer for venison, so i have developed other outlets, a couple of restaurants and some pubs being my main ones.

I do cook with it but, as yet, have never knowingly produced a custard

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I don't sell mine. I take them home and butcher them myself. I'm no pro but the legs get split up into managable joints, the fillets are removed and the rest is minced for burgers, sausages and for use in chillies etc. It's really not that hard to bone out the cuts and tie them into nice little joints.

It takes me a lot longer than it would take a butcher to do and I have no doubt it's not as neat, but I've never had a complaint from anyone who eats with me. I can't keep up with the requests from friends for roasting joints and the mince and fillets are my favourite bits.

I don't think I can sell them as I don't have the required paperwork? I've been mentored through the process but for the number I shoot it's not worth the bother. I have no wish to shoot more than I can eat or give away.

Mine are all divied up and taken back around the farms i shoot,keep a bit for myself and give a bit to some friends ocasionally keeps everyone happy,dogs get a few trimmiings as well if their lucky.
    Neil.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Cap, Venison Custards

I have a sharing arrangement with most of the owners of my permissions, they have the choice of what venison they want and I have the rest. A lot goes to neighbours of my permissions, for public relations etc. Very occassionally i have had a real surplus, just after Christmas I had 5 fallow in a fortnight, and I butchered, weighed, bagged and sold it myself locally. My nearest game dealer is not a good payer for venison, so i have developed other outlets, a couple of restaurants and some pubs being my main ones.

I do cook with it but, as yet, have never knowingly produced a custard

ft
    Its a term us Wiganers refer to Pies Flytie we have a nickname of the pie eaters or custard scoffers and widows memories is a term we use for sausages for obvious reasons

Flyt.........you should see what they call a pier!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

c'mon then Finn, enlight'n us then?????????

Moe..

Mine go to the game dealer, unlike England in Scotland it is illegal to sell venison to anyone other than a registered venison dealer

I was thinking I could 'Tice Cap into a reply
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

You cant sell or even give processed venison to anyone in this country without proper approved larder facilities in this country either