Excellent Glass for FAC Air 0.25.....Meopta Artemis 7x50, 8x56 MeoPro or other

lambic

Hello Gents,

Recently the sold the Bushnell Elite 6500s which were on my 22LR and Fac Air. I use these guns for rabbits mainly, although also do some plinking. FAC Air is 55 ft/lb and 880fps, the HW66 is shooting Eley Subs.

I upgraded the 22LR to a fancy BT Z6 P which is working very nicely,although still looking for the optimal ammunition. The Fac Air is currently much more accurate at 50m, however the setup has good potential for 50m to 100m shots once I find the right ammo, perhaps some lower match grade Eley stuff.

I need a new scope for the FAC Air. Been reading positive comments on the Meopta scopes [ARTEMIS, MEOPRO, R1] with the 4b reticule. The FAC Air will be used at ranges of 25 to 50m. So questions are:

* Has anybody encountered problems with shooting at 25m/30m with these fixed mag Meopta scopes, such as noticeable blurring and parallax errors? To be honest, only a rabbit or stoat would be shot at this range, no targets. Most of the shots would be around 45m - targets and rabbits.

* What is the difference in terms of optical and build quality between the Artemis, Meopro and R1?

I have a Swaro 8x50 on my 270 and is great, however the reticle would be of little use to me shooting a loopy 0.25 pellet. So same applies for S&B and Zeiss.

Also looked at Leupold EFRs (but for some reason I have taken an irrational dislike to Leupold) and the Sightron S3 10x42. The Sightron looks like a real contender, but is overpriced new.

Any advice from guys who have used them will be gratefully received.

Cheers

James

Last edited:
You have opened a mine field, so, be prepared for LOTS of answers...:)

Personally, I love Meopta scopes, and have two, a 7x50 on my triple 2, and a 3-9x42 on my 243...and will be looking for an other for my (soon to be) 270...:) Great glass, fantastic in low light, and very robust, also, the customer service should you need to use it, is fantastic...I lost the turret caps off one of mine, and Meopta sent me two new ones FOC....when even Hawke want £11 each for them. the only scope to beat meopta IMHO is swarry...my mate has a couple, and they are fantastic, tho, fantastically priced too...my 7x50 cost ( 2nd hand) for a 6 year old scope £175 from Bushwear, the 3-9 x 42 cost £160 from here...:) Brilliant value for money......:)

Norrie ou care clearly a fan of Meopta which is good.
If you look at a rabbit head sized target 30-40m using your 7x50 and / or 6x42, is it nice and crisp or a bit blurry?
The parallax issue is what it is, but not sure about image clarity
Cheers

I have a Meopta Artemis IR 7x50 on a .17HMR.
Typical shots are at 40-70 yards, not 150-200 Yard as most others seem to claim as their benchmark performance ;) and that scope is performing very well using a Thermal to find to rabbits, close in on them and than use a red LED torch mounted on the rifle. The dot (Illuminated or not) is very fine.
I think it would work very well on a FAC Air rifle.

Good to know Erik. At least some of us are honest about our shooting ranges. I always chuckle remembering a thread on here about a guy doing 130m headshots consistently on rabbits with a 22LR. Wish I could find ammo that good.

Been browsing the Meopta website and they have just released a Meostar with variable parallax - price unknown.

Been offered a new Sightron S3 10x42 from Slovakia for 460 including delivery.

If the MeoStar is optically better than the MeoPro due to better coatings, then where does the Sightron S3 lie? I assume between the two? I think the Artemis is same as the MeoPro...

Good to know Erik. At least some of us are honest about our shooting ranges. I always chuckle remembering a thread on here about a guy doing 130m headshots consistently on rabbits with a 22LR. Wish I could find ammo that good.

Been browsing the Meopta website and they have just released a Meostar with variable parallax - price unknown.

Been offered a new Sightron S3 10x42 from Slovakia for 460 including delivery.

If the MeoStar is optically better than the MeoPro due to better coatings, then where does the Sightron S3 lie? I assume between the two? I think the Artemis is same as the MeoPro...

I can't answer those questions, but what I do know is that the marketing men quite like to release a new 'updated version' of an existing product claiming superior performance or improved technology without there actually being a real upgrade, apart from the peripheral stuff such as the packaging, the logo, the model name and of course the price.
I doubt whether there will be any noticeable difference in the quality of the glass between an Artemis, MeoStar or MeoPro..

Back