Thread: Poi change.

Poi change.

Hi all after zeroing the new steyr rifle off the bipod I decided to go on a fox hunt tonight. Didn't get any charlies but did attempt a few rabbits, I was shooting from the wing mirror of the truck resting a pillow under rifle and missed 2 easy shots on rabbits no more than 100 yards away. Could the poi have changed as I zeroed on the bipod then used the wing mirror to rest while hunting.
    P.s I've took the bipod off now and am going to test it again on target over the weekend from the mirror or bean bag.

Kind regards
    Dan

Check the front end of the stock for flexibility.
    Some Steyr models have a very bendy stock which can touch the barrel far too easily when using a bipod.

Cheers

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Dan View Post
    Hi all after zeroing the new steyr rifle off the bipod I decided to go on a fox hunt tonight. Didn't get any charlies but did attempt a few rabbits, I was shooting from the wing mirror of the truck resting a pillow under rifle and missed 2 easy shots on rabbits no more than 100 yards away. Could the poi have changed as I zeroed on the bipod then used the wing mirror to rest while hunting.
    P.s I've took the bipod off now and am going to test it again on target over the weekend from the mirror or bean bag.

Kind regards
    Dan
    I zero off what I use in the field as it is what I shoot from...Tolerances are built in to every thing we use,

Laying down, taking your time punching holes through a piece of paper is no comparison to coming upon a quarry which is close to legging it...Also I would suggest you head position will be different sitting in your seat than laying down using the bi-pod.

For me there are too many factors against driving along with either the rifle poking out the window or stopping then reaching across to the passenger seat grabbing the rifle, then taking the shot.

We used to do some years ago on one farm with some success but with a passenger side shooter using a shooing rest frame,
    however the success rate was far greater once I/we changed to shooting on foot.

What ever method you end up adopting then practice is the key.....

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

I have had that trouble to.
    Bipod promises a lot but often fails to deliver in actual use in the field.
    Cant beat the wing mirror for me, although really need a left hand drive truck
    and a driver that understands the limited arc of fire available

Thanks lads. The stock does flex quite alot. I'm going back up the field with target and try a group from the mirror. I had great success with the .22-250 zeroing off bipod and then shooting from mirror just this steyr is very different. As Tim. 243 said it seems as though I should zero from where I intend to shoot it from.