Thread: Food for thought.

Food for thought.

I had an interesting discussion about deer hunting with an American customer this morning.
    He was amazed that deer hunting with a rifle was allowed in my area, as it was so 'built-up' (We're talking Costwold AONB countryside here...) , and therefore, in his view, very unsafe. In his State, I think it was Montana, hunting deer with a rifle was prohibited in what he called 'built-up area's', only a shotgun with a solid slug was allowed, as a shotgun slug will not travel as far as a rifle bullet.
    I disagree about my hunting ground being -'built-up' (all things are relative) but in a way he does have a good point.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

There is a point there but over here pretty much everyone who shoots makes sure there is a safe backstop almost immediately behind the animal (or target) they're shooting so the distance the bullet can travel is irrelevant as it won't go anywhere further than is safe (in theory anyway). In places like the U.S. And even from some NZ friends they will happily shoot a skylined animal as they think there thousands of uninhabited acres behind them so that's safe.

Being Spaniard, the first few times I stalked roe in the South of France I had a similar impression than the American. Carrying a loaded rifle while stalking by scattered houses and farms was weird for me, but my local friend wasn't bothered at all, so at the end I just got used to it. What surprised me was avoiding houses who were suppossed to belong to people who disliked hunting. By the way, summer stalking for roe is not yet too usual over there, so my friend avoided some people so he didn't have to explain what we were doing in July with all our stalking gear including a rifle.

Therefore, take your American client stalking a few times with you and he 'll probably get to like it

Same thing in Nova Scotia. Was invited to tag along on a bear hunt a couple years back. While discussing their hunting practises, I asked about the white tail. Which are fairly elusive in the mountains but very prevalent in the valley where all the farm land is. I asked if they hunted down there which they do but only with bow as High velocity rifles are not allowed. The view there was that since there are a good number of houses and people in general compared to up in the mountains why increase the risk by using firearms.
    Maybe I'll get the chance to use my bow one day.

Can you all shut up before some do-gooder reads this and we end up with
    "Snipers blast deer with high power assault rifles near family homes" or some such crap in the headlines
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Can you all shut up before some do-gooder reads this and we end up with
    "Snipers blast deer with high power assault rifles near family homes" or some such crap in the headlines
    SimpleSimon, maybe you really are the 'Stalking Veteran' you consider yourself to be, but your post clearly shows you have a lot to learn about intelligent debate and Internet Forum posting protocol.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Iv just come back from British Columbia and they had the same sort of rules. Many areas being Bow only.

There idea of built up is Nothing like the same as here. I personally think that there is nothing wrong with our system here as long as people are responsible it shouldn't be a problem. Rather our way than shooting everything with an arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    SimpleSimon, maybe you really are the 'Stalking Veteran' you consider yourself to be, but your post clearly shows you have a lot to learn about intelligent debate and Internet Forum posting protocol.
    I apologise if my lightheartedness offended you.
    Your point is interesting, our perception of what is a built up vs remote area is clearly going to be very different to many. Of course now that I am a stalking veteran with my DSC1 I appreciate more than ever the need to identify safe backstops and exercise awareness of my surroundings when shooting.
    My other post was just a little dig at the media and often hysterical public response to "issues".
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Internet forums and protocol, (sounds a bit like alcohol that dunni't), are all very well, but not everyone has all the requisite needs to operate on fora such as this, I include myself, being a confirmed pedant ... we all need to read posts over a couple of times before inwardly digesting.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!