Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Case Cleaning

  1. #1

    Case Cleaning

    With all the time it takes to clean cases, then still having to remove media from the primer pockets and often what is stuck in the cases. I figured it would be easier to clean them by hand with a rag.

    Question; is "wipe out, Patch out" solution safe for brass?

    I tested 4 this morning and it remover the crud early on the outside of the case.

    Thank you


    John

  2. #2
    If you really can't be bothered to tumble them stick them in a couple of old socks and put them in the washing machine, 40c for 30-60mins does a pretty good job and gets the insides clean as well. Or buy some walnut reptile bedding, it's small enough not to get stuck in the primer flash holes.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    If you really can't be bothered to tumble them stick them in a couple of old socks and put them in the washing machine, 40c for 30-60mins does a pretty good job and gets the insides clean as well. Or buy some walnut reptile bedding, it's small enough not to get stuck in the primer flash holes.

    Sleeping with reptiles now are you?!

  4. #4
    Indeed, it's a step up from sleeping with my Ex
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    Indeed, it's a step up from sleeping with my Ex
    BWWAAAHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHA!! ~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 30-08-2015 at 15:59.

  6. #6
    Buy an ultrasonic cleaner. Put in the brass with your favorite citric acid mix for a few cycles. Rinse. Shake them in a terry cloth sack to remove most of the water, lay them on a biscuit baking sheet at 150 F in the oven for 30 minutes. Reload.
    Not shiny but squeaky clean inside and out. I use Hornady's concentrate. One bottle makes about 4.5 gallons of case cleaner.~Muir

  7. #7
    I leave the primer in, tumble until shiny and clean, lube, size and remove primer,then clean the primer pocket with a pocket cleaner then use a quick blast of air duster from an aerosol can. Not as clean as citric acid and a Ultrasonic cleaner but you don't have to dry them.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert 888 View Post
    I leave the primer in, tumble until shiny and clean, lube, size and remove primer,then clean the primer pocket with a pocket cleaner then use a quick blast of air duster from an aerosol can. Not as clean as citric acid and a Ultrasonic cleaner but you don't have to dry them.
    Yeah.... but you need to clean the freaking primer pockets! This is the one chore in reloading I hate. I'd rather toss them in the oven while I find something (or nothing) else to do for 30 minutes. ~Muir

  9. #9
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Posts
    643
    X 2 on the ultra sonic.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Yeah.... but you need to clean the freaking primer pockets! This is the one chore in reloading I hate. I'd rather toss them in the oven while I find something (or nothing) else to do for 30 minutes. ~Muir
    I'm impatient, I don't like tarnished brass either. I would rather poke the media out of the flash hole than dry them. And you don't get them as shiny brass with a Ultrasonic cleaner,it's horses for courses. I find weighing and trickling the powder the worst job. Albert

Similar Threads

  1. case cleaning
    By kaduflyer in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 11-08-2015, 06:51
  2. For Sale single rifle case - Double rifle/shotgun case - 17 cleaning rod + spike
    By Sabian223 in forum Firearms Components
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-06-2013, 16:29
  3. *SOLD* Case cleaning.
    By bk in forum Reloading
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-06-2013, 22:10
  4. Case cleaning
    By Jos in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 22-02-2010, 17:52
  5. Case Cleaning
    By JP in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 17:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •