Thread: Using a chronograph indoors

Using a chronograph indoors

I bought a chronograph some time ago. It seems ok outside with the air rifle. I'm trying to develop loads for my 308 using an indoor range but I can't get it to work. The manual mentions using the instrument under bright sunshine and cloudy conditions. It also states that fluorescent light will cause erroneous readings.

I'm not sure how this kit operates, has anyone tried to use one indoors? Was it successful?
    CH

Indoors shade the fluorescent lights so that their flickering light doesn't fall on the optical sensors of your chronograph.
    Illuminate above the sensors with an incandescent light or LED running off DC (preferably above a frosted sky screen) It should work accurately then.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Indoors shade the fluorescent lights so that their flickering light doesn't fall on the optical sensors of your chronograph.
    Illuminate above the sensors with an incandescent light or LED running off DC (preferably above a frosted sky screen) It should work accurately then.

Ian
    Thanks Ian, I'll try it with the LEDs tomorrow.
    CH

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post

Ian
    I had that problem and used the opaque plastic bottom of a storage bin. I drilled holes in it to match the rods of my Chrony and cut some clearance channels in the ends for the bullet to pass. A pair of cheap flashights (torches, to you folks) set atop worked really well. In the twilight the opaque cover glows. The readings are very good. I have taken to using it in overhead sunlight as well since it diffuses the light evenly. I get very consistent readings.

The best part? I kept the top of the storage bin so i pack my chrony and related gear in the box for the trip to the range.~Muir