Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Is it possible???

  1. #1

    Is it possible???

    I've an rcbs partner digital scale,it runs on a 9 volt battery I'm wanting to hard wire to a transformer, does anyone know if this is possible, regards Karl.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl7mm08 View Post
    I've an rcbs partner digital scale,it runs on a 9 volt battery I'm wanting to hard wire to a transformer, does anyone know if this is possible, regards Karl.
    No reason why not... just make sure you buy a REGULATED power supply then cut the wire and connect +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve... you may want to get an adjustable regulated power supply as 9v from a transformer may not be quite as much as 9v from a battery... you MAY need to up the juice a little to make it work. You will pick one up in Maplin for 15-20... Just remember, it must be REGULATED to avoid damage..

    I take no responsibility for any damage caused to your equipment in doing this... you follow my suggestions at your own risk in full knowledge that it mat completely bugger your kit up!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    No reason why not... just make sure you buy a REGULATED power supply then cut the wire and connect +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve... you may want to get an adjustable regulated power supply as 9v from a transformer may not be quite as much as 9v from a battery... you MAY need to up the juice a little to make it work. You will pick one up in Maplin for 15-20... Just remember, it must be REGULATED to avoid damage..

    I take no responsibility for any damage caused to your equipment in doing this... you follow my suggestions at your own risk in full knowledge that it mat completely bugger your kit up!
    Thoughts on wiring up a regulated transformer through a 9v rechargeable to act as a capacitor and stabilise current?
    Same caveat as above... if it goes bzzzzt not my fault

  4. #4
    Is the ac dc thing not an issue

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by shakey jake View Post
    Is the ac dc thing not an issue
    Probably as a 9v batt is DC, output from any transformer will be AC so a rectifier will be needed for the output from the transformer. Maplins would be a good place to start looking, I'm guessing it will be milli amps so a plug in DC charger for the likes of a mobile phone/computer or similar device may well be suitable.
    Pete.

  6. #6
    This'll do it Maplin 6W Switched Mode AC/DC Fixed Voltage 9V Power Supply | Maplin
    Remove the battery from the scale, check which wire from the power supply is the positive, then cut the plug from the power supply cable, strip back the wires and the connect to the terminals on the scale - job done

    Cheers

    Bruce

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mealiejimmy View Post
    This'll do it Maplin 6W Switched Mode AC/DC Fixed Voltage 9V Power Supply | Maplin
    Remove the battery from the scale, check which wire from the power supply is the positive, then cut the plug from the power supply cable, strip back the wires and the connect to the terminals on the scale - job done

    Cheers

    Bruce
    Bang on but just to add... you may actually find you need to feed it more volts! I imported a chargemaster combo 1500 a few years ago which was packaged with a us 9v adapter so I binned that and went and bought a 9v uk adapter from the UK... 3 units later!!!!! (RCBS replaced 2 as they wouldn't work properly)... turned out I just wasn't giving them enough juice... when 3rd unit wouldn't play ball and showed same fault, I upped the voltage to 12v and hey presto.. all worked fine.. When I put a multimeter across the output on the 9v unregulated unit it came with, it was putting out 11v!!!

  8. #8
    I have a pact scale which I can run on a 9 volt battery and mains power so I invested in a transformer from mapplins with a multi pin adapter . but I have found the digital display is unstable and it keeps flashing when i run on mains power so I run it on the battery . I think I will look into vipas advice

  9. #9
    Thanks chaps I will have a mess about and see what happens regards Karl.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •