Thread: Mould on Zeiss prisms

Regular Poster

Mould on Zeiss prisms

My father has some old Zeiss binoculars but looking through them the wrong way, you can see "snowflakes" of mould on the prism. I don't know whether they would have been gas filled before but where is it best to get them serviced?

Hi

Paul Burke in Birmingham (Tel: 0121 788 1050) is a good Optics Doctor, or you could send them to Zeiss in Cambridge asking for a quote - if their previous Customer Service on SD is anything to go by probably free of charge.

There is a Zeiss chap recently registered on here C. James - a search (Zeiss Representative) will bring him up for a chatter.

L
    Last edited by Loki; 31-08-2015 at 06:48. Reason: Z-Rep checked

Quote Originally Posted by spandit View Post
    My father has some old Zeiss binoculars but looking through them the wrong way, you can see "snowflakes" of mould on the prism. I don't know whether they would have been gas filled before but where is it best to get them serviced?
    Hi Spandit,

I have just sent you a personal message. I hope that helps.

C James

Regular Poster
    Thanks all. I'll have a look, although my father can't see there's anything wrong with them

Paul Burke fixes the scopes & Glasgow bino repairs (see ) no pun intended, to the bino's.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

it sounds like your unit is contaminated with an optical fungus. There are a number of reasons that can lead to this, but unfortunately it can occur for no apparent reason and some repairers will not open a unit as it can spread to other optics. The classic signs are 'snow-flake" patterns and you may see an increase in the number of flakes over time? If someone will repair, I would hope that they change more than the contaminated prism.

Regular Poster
    Snowflake sounds spot on. Is it not just a surface thing that they can polish off?

Snowflake sounds spot on. Is it not just a surface thing that they can polish off?
    No. The optics is contaminated and in a majority of cases the unit is unuseable. Some repairers are willing to undertake the work, some manufacturers do not. Sometimes these things happen for no reason, how'ever reduce the risks with drying in an ambient atmosphere, do not false the drying process, should the unit become saturated. This however is not always a cause.

I would see what Zeiss suggest ( I no longer head up the division or work for them in the UK so they may suggest something else).
    Last edited by mak; 01-09-2015 at 19:59.

Regular Poster
    They're pretty old binos - don't know how the old quality compares to modern cheaper stuff