Thread: Anyone seen this

Anyone seen this

Was out this morning and took a pricket. On gralloching everything looked good up to the point when I removed the lungs from the chest cavity and found this:

on closer inspection there were similiar blisters on the heart:

All nodes looked normal. Any ideas?
    Last edited by hughsurrey; 27-04-2010 at 17:55. Reason: Pics now clickable

The pics are a bit small to get a good look, but the blisters on the lungs, were they full of fluid, like small sacs attached to the lungs?

I have now made the pics clickable, sorry. They looked like fluid filled blisters you might get on your foot or from a burn. I did wonder if it was a byproduct of the hydroshock? Clicking the pictures takes you to photobucket, and there are a few more pictures in the album of the same animal

I think the blisters on the lung are lungworm.. they live in the little sacs of fluid which they attached to the lung. I stand corrected, but the pic looks very similar to the one shown on the DSC 1 course. I just cant remember 100% whether it was lung worm or not.. All that needs to be done is for the pluck to be removed and a note on your declaration to the gamedealer.. Did that sound like a textbook answer?!

On referral to my DSC1 manual, they are Cysts, which can be caused by tapeworm. Deer can carry these and are the same as the type of tapeworm a dog may get..
    Last edited by flyingfisherman; 27-04-2010 at 20:14.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    I think the blisters on the lung are lungworm.. they live in the little sacs of fluid which they attached to the lung. I stand corrected, but the pic looks very similar to the one shown on the DSC 1 course. I just cant remember 100% whether it was lung worm or not.. All that needs to be done is for the pluck to be removed and a note on your declaration to the gamedealer.. Did that sound like a textbook answer?!

On referral to my DSC1 manual, they are Cysts, which can be caused by tapeworm. Deer can carry these and are the same as the type of tapeworm a dog may get..
    Tapeworm is suggested from the info I have on the deer disease ID cards from the BDS.
    "The cysts are normally seen as clear or white sacs of fluid usually on the surface of the internal organs but can be found within the organs such as lungs and the liver.
    Do not open the cysts as these will contaminate the carcase with the ineffective stages of the tapeworm, their presence should be noted and reported to the dealer if the carcase is being sold into the food chain. Do not allow dogs to eat raw meat containing cysts as these will complete the life cycle and infect the dog with tapeworms."

Thanks for all the info chaps, I couldnt find my DSC1 mnaual to refer to, but wasnt happy without knowing what it was

Pretty sure thay aren't tapeworm cysts,but,did you open one up tyo see what was in there?If it was a TW cyst then it would hold the eggs.

To be honest I didnt, as I didnt want to create a problem. Having said that the bullet that took off the top of the heart, also mullered the other lung, so any cysts present would have been spread all over the chest cavity. I did have a pretty good look and it just appeared tobe clear fluid. Another (very experienced) source told me it was just air and water, and of no concern.