Thread: Recommendations for new hunting & target Glass

Recommendations for new hunting & target Glass

Looking for recommendations for optics for a .223 and a .308. The former will mainly be used for longish range (up to 250m max) vermin control, the latter for target & field. Target may be anything up to 400m, field unlikely to be over 150m, some dusk and dawn shooting involved.

Have been considering a Sightron 10x42 for the .223, and perhaps a Leup VIII of some description for the .308

Considerations for the 308 glass are that it must be possible to either use a graduated ret (Mildot or whatever) or it must have enough turret adjustment and accurately re-set to a 100 yd zero.

That discounts a lot of budget scopes which I wouldn't waste my time on anyway, although they are getting better. It was a wise man who once said "only a rich man can afford to buy cheap glass!"

Budget is up to 800 new or used (both scopes) so a tough ask!

I'm minded to simply keep a few budget scopes (Nikko Stirling Gameking 3-9 x40) as a stand in for the .223 until I can afford something much better and not restrict myself as much for the 308.

Any and all suggestions welcome with your experiences of same.

Sightron, Leupold, Vortex or Meopta.

hows about a meopta for the .308 they do some target style ones in somthing like a 6-18x50 meopro then a 8x56 schmidt for the .223 you should be able to find both of them secondhand for under your 800 both will fit what you want and both have good glass

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    hows about a meopta for the .308 they do some target style ones in somthing like a 6-18x50 meopro then a 8x56 schmidt for the .223 you should be able to find both of them second hand for under your 800 both will fit what you want and both have good glass
    Good suggestions. As it happens, I've just chanced upon a decent Viii with LR ret in the Classifieds which I reckon might be a good shout for the 308 and well within budget, so really just need to consider the 223. 8 x 56 isn't a bad shout but ideally would look towards something a little smaller and lighter, perhaps with a 40 or 44mm objective.

The IOR Stalker 4-16 x 50 at sub 600 new (Optics Warehouse) - does a fine job for both target & hunting. Hard to beat at the price. Fine FFP duplex reticle with a nice small centre dot that is nicely illuminated for low light use. Schott glass - very nice to look through. It is a solidly built scope - not like many other modern offerings. Feels like it will take some abuse. Mine is sat in extra low Optilocks on my Tikka M595 - very snug.
    IOR do a similar scope with a Mil dot reticle which is very nice - but that one has not been on offer at the moment & is hence more pricey.
    Alternatively the Meopta ZD range is awsome if you like a more tactical beast, but costs around a grand new.

Ian