Recommendations for new hunting & target Glass

ChesterP

Looking for recommendations for optics for a .223 and a .308. The former will mainly be used for longish range (up to 250m max) vermin control, the latter for target & field. Target may be anything up to 400m, field unlikely to be over 150m, some dusk and dawn shooting involved.

Have been considering a Sightron 10x42 for the .223, and perhaps a Leup VIII of some description for the .308

Considerations for the 308 glass are that it must be possible to either use a graduated ret (Mildot or whatever) or it must have enough turret adjustment and accurately re-set to a 100 yd zero.

That discounts a lot of budget scopes which I wouldn't waste my time on anyway, although they are getting better. It was a wise man who once said "only a rich man can afford to buy cheap glass!"

Budget is up to £800 new or used (both scopes) so a tough ask!

I'm minded to simply keep a few budget scopes (Nikko Stirling Gameking 3-9 x40) as a stand in for the .223 until I can afford something much better and not restrict myself as much for the 308.

Any and all suggestions welcome with your experiences of same.

hows about a meopta for the .308 they do some target style ones in somthing like a 6-18x50 meopro then a 8x56 schmidt for the .223 you should be able to find both of them secondhand for under your £800 both will fit what you want and both have good glass

hows about a meopta for the .308 they do some target style ones in somthing like a 6-18x50 meopro then a 8x56 schmidt for the .223 you should be able to find both of them second hand for under your £800 both will fit what you want and both have good glass

Good suggestions. As it happens, I've just chanced upon a decent Viii with LR ret in the Classifieds which I reckon might be a good shout for the 308 and well within budget, so really just need to consider the 223. 8 x 56 isn't a bad shout but ideally would look towards something a little smaller and lighter, perhaps with a 40 or 44mm objective.

The IOR Stalker 4-16 x 50 at sub £600 new (Optics Warehouse) - does a fine job for both target & hunting. Hard to beat at the price. Fine FFP duplex reticle with a nice small centre dot that is nicely illuminated for low light use. Schott glass - very nice to look through. It is a solidly built scope - not like many other modern offerings. Feels like it will take some abuse. Mine is sat in extra low Optilocks on my Tikka M595 - very snug.
IOR do a similar scope with a Mil dot reticle which is very nice - but that one has not been on offer at the moment & is hence more pricey.
Alternatively the Meopta ZD range is awsome if you like a more tactical beast, but costs around a grand new.

Ian

Back