Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting on a 26 Nosler

Starting on a 26 Nosler

Well I just went in up to my chin !
    Just bought a 1980-1995 Remington 700BDL in 7mm REM MAG . Gun appears to be in very nice shape woodwise and blueing wise !
    Right after I knew I won the rifle I went on Midway and got a Shilen #4 stainless barrel blank in 6.5mm with a 1:8 twist as well as a 26 Nosler reamer and gauges !
    And of course a couple boxes of JACKETED projectiles for the gun !
    I am hoping to use the Berger 130 VLD Match Hunting bullet as I've already had good luck on deer using it ina couple 6.5-06's as well as a couple 264 Win Mag's !

Are you hoping the barrel will last to the end of your box of Bergers before burning out??

Jacketed ???
    Are you ill man ?
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    Jacketed ???
    Are you ill man ?
    That's in there because I first posted this on a cast bullet forum hahahahahaha ! And of course all I do is copy and paste the other places I frequent !

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Are you hoping the barrel will last to the end of your box of Bergers before burning out??
    I'm thinking maybe two boxes of Bergers !

Yes two of the 500 round boxes !!!!!!!!!!!

Had a bit of a set back !

After I won the older 700BDL on Gunbroker I get an email from the dealer saying they had sold the rifle in their shop this morning before the auction ended . Which is totally irrelevant since I made my bid sunday . If they;d been paying attention they'd have seen it before they sold it this morning . So I immediately scratched around a found a slightly used 700 ADL synthetic in 300 Win Mag for $125 less . That should be in my hands by Friday . The barrel reamer and gauges will be in my hands Thursday according to Midway !

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Sounds like fun! Now your going to have to move to Wyoming. You could put that thing to good use out there. Don't overheat it and keep it clean, you might be surprised at how long it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy Out West View Post
    Sounds like fun! Now your going to have to move to Wyoming. You could put that thing to good use out there. Don't overheat it and keep it clean, you might be surprised at how long it lasts.
    My thoughts exactly on the lasting of the throat !

Estimates say with regular use 750-900 shots in a carbon steel barrel . I'm thinking with stainless and a good bit of common sense I might be able to squeeze 900-1100 shots . If I can get a load I like worked up with about 150 shots , then use about 20 a year for checking sights and killing 3-5 deer each year the old gun might last me into my 80's and by then I may very well be tired of killing deer !

That sounds like fun. Looking forward to some pictures and a report when you've finished.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    I'm wagering that you will step up to the new "Heard Bull", .28 Nosler before too long. Once bitten, it's hard to slow down.