Thread: Sauer 202 classic stock with knots?

Sauer 202 classic stock with knots?

Just curious you folks think passes as a grade 2 stock? Would you be upset if it had knots in the buttstock? This is on a sauer 202 classic.

Have a look on the Sauer site and see how the stocks they have listed at the various grades compare.

Well it would seem that the 202 classic on the sauer site has two knots in the buttstock.

A lot of wood on modern guns leaves a lot to be desired. You see many guns where the wood on the forend doesn't match the butt, indeed are totally different colours. More importantly emphasis is on fact grain rather the strength. Many so called highly figured sticks are not laid out properly, and with the high degree of figure are just weak and it's only a question of time before they break. Much of this is due to automated production techniques - blanks are all one shape and then CNC milled. Whereas in the days of traditional gunmaking by hand the stoker made sure the grain flowed through the hand.

Burr walnut nut is the worst IMHO - burrs are weak with no consistent grain flow and would be very difficult to work with hand tools. But stick it on a machine and out comes a stock.

But most modern shotguns and rifles such as the Blaser, and Sauer 202 all have stock bolts that run through the whole butt or up the hand adding enormously to the strength. A small knot will not per se weaken the stock unless it's in a critical position, but will affect the aesthetics and hear that is a matter of taste and you pays your money.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 01-09-2015 at 08:48.

I agree. It's a shame that humans don't oversee more of the process. As someone that works with wood for a hobby I don't understand why there should be knots in a rifle costing what a sauer does.

Quote Originally Posted by whelen nut View Post
    I agree. It's a shame that humans don't oversee more of the process. As someone that works with wood for a hobby I don't understand why there should be knots in a rifle costing what a sauer does.
    Simple word - Bling - and a lot of the market want this. It fits right alongside the white range rover sport and the wife / girls friend who is best described as fur coat and nay knickers. They are prepared to pay a lot of money for these adornments, which actually don't cost a lot more to make.

Look at most fine rifles and shotguns from the heyday of gunmaking - most wood is perfectly grained for strength and function, but is not particularly fancy.

Indeed and have a look at Cooper Firearms in the USA. Beautiful wood and grained the way it should be.

what do you think lies under the 1mm polyurethance coating of expensive anshutz stocks? I tell you coz I just spent 12 weeks getting the coating off one...extremely open grained black walnut that's been kiln dried (and not for long either)...that nice varnish makes them look all veined and shiny,, but talk about wool over eyes!