Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Such a dangerous illegal poaching technique being used in Devon

Such a dangerous illegal poaching technique being used in Devon

About a week ago i was out at first light, i parked my truck off the road in a field.
    I was waiting by my favourite tree well before light, as it started to get light i heard a van driving very slowly along the lane, either side of this lane are the fields i am permitted to shoot over, only it's side lights were on, then as i thought, it slowed to a stop in a gateway and although i was 300 yards away i could make out he was glassing the fields, he stayed there for a couple of minutes and moved on, i did not move for fear of being shot!

So i went out again this morning, i noticed some roe down the bottom of the field by the woods, i had glassed them from the road, just like he did, i pulled into another gateway and started to stalk the deer, i had gone about 100 yards and was so annoyed to find the remainders of roe deer gralloch, i reckon it had been there about 48 hours, by the laws of probability it was shot by the same guy, even if it wasn't it's still a crazy irresponsible thing to do.

So, this site has 15,000 members, just in case the individual is on this site, you have been rumbled, i now know your van, i am on the lookout as is the farmer.
    I am not going into exact locations suffice to say it was around 5 miles west of Crediton.

That aside, this is such a dangerous practice, imagine shooting towards the deer and i am to the rear, it is not worth the risk, you could kill someone.

Richard
    Last edited by devon deer stalker; 01-09-2015 at 08:50.

Not condoning the poaching but this post reminds me of the recent police statement which suggested that as a bird of prey was found dead in the area proximate to a pheasant pen, the inference is that it must have been a pheasant shooter. There was uproar at the time from legitimate shooters being tarnished by association.

Have you thought of making a similar post on the illegal-poachers directory?

Quote Originally Posted by Greymaster View Post
    Have you thought of making a similar post on the illegal-poachers directory?
    Is there such a directory?

if not maybe the SD is the best place for this statement. Note that Richard said 'just in case the individual is on this site', seems like at least as good a place to start as any other to me.....

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Is there such a directory?

if not maybe the SD is the best place for this statement. Note that Richard said 'just in case the individual is on this site', seems like at least as good a place to start as any other to me.....

+1

Sad to say Richard is spot on. There is a lot of "drive by" shooting down here, it's always gone on but when it was shotguns it wasn't really too much of a danger problem. With the advent of night vision where no light is involved by the legitimate shooter, they are without doubt at risk from those shooting in from the road using centrefires. All rather worrying.

I would be suprised if a centre fire was involved. More likely a moderated .22. If the perpetrator has no respect for poaching law then how likely are they to bother with the deer act.

If it were me and saw them doing another drive by I would illuminate them with 1/2 a million candle power. It may encourage them to poach elsewhere.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

If you have the reg number and description of the van its simple call the police and report your findings
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    I would be suprised if a centre fire was involved. More likely a moderated .22. If the perpetrator has no respect for poaching law then how likely are they to bother with the deer act.

If it were me and saw them doing another drive by I would illuminate them with 1/2 a million candle power. It may encourage them to poach elsewhere.

Sorry, but there is no doubt centrefires have been used for this kind of thing. The person who drives round and shoots illegally from my own experience as a keeper has no regard for the law whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post

I would also be surprised if this "practice" was limited to just the Crediton area!
    If the perpetrator has no respect for poaching law then how likely are they to bother with the deer act - Or the safety of others? If you were to "illuminate them with 1/2 a million candlepower" you might need to watch out in case you get a .22 Sub-Sonic whizzing past your ear - I suspect that some/many of these "Fly by night poachers/thieving scum" will stop at nothing to avoid getting caught!

I would endorse reporting a 'suspicious' vehicle. This is actively encouraged by the police in my area (Essex) for many reasons, poaching, burglary etc.