Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kuiu gear

Kuiu gear

I've seen Kuiu gear mentioned on here a couple of times, does anyone have any of it? how durable is it? breathable? I run a bit hot and have been let down by everything except goretex, does it come in a colour suitable to be worn with tweeds on a shoot day? one of my pet hates is keeper in Camo on shoot days, not good form imo. Is it expensive? don't mind paying for good gear but won't pay daft (harkila, arcterix) money! Can you get it in the UK?

not much to ask!!

I take it you have found this site?
    It's one of the main players in the states along with Sitka gear, neither of them cheap, i have a few Sitka gear items and like the kit, having said that i have only heard good things about KUIU gear
    Starting KUIU |
    Cheers
    Richard

Got quite a bit..

• Is it durable - It is durable enough.... designed for mountain hunting in the states so will take a beating but not going to last long pushing through gorse in the highlands, nor will it laugh off a knife attack like a Harkila Pro Hunter would!..... Then again... with a name like 'Pro Hunter' you would be quite right to expect it to be lion and leopard proof too!!
    • Is it breathable... depending which you go for... as good as it gets.. I have the Yukon jacket, Dermizax NX fabric which is unbelievably breathable (4x more so than goretex if the marketing men are to be believed... I will say I have never had any condensation build up in mine unlike every other breathable jacket I have owned!) although be warned, what you make up for in breathability you will lose in durability.. sadly the laws of physics have to come into play sometime!
    • Colours... you may be disappointed... they don't do much in the way of block colours.. have a look on their website and see whats available in what.. the camos aren't bad at all.. no realtree rubbish or DPM. The Verde Camo is more suited to the UK.
    • Cost... look on the website.. it's all there.. I would say on a scale of 1 to 10.. 1 being the cheapest and 10 being the most expensive.. it probably sits on a 7 by the time you have paid for shipping and import.
    • Is it available in the uk... no... mail order only... even in the US and Canada.. that's why it is only a 7 on the cost front.. if they had to pay retailers and importers the price would be right up there with ArcTeryx... yes... the gear is that good! (and yes... I have owned a fair bit of ArcTerx gear in the past)
    • If you decide to order some, they have their sizing guide down to a T... follow the instructions on the site... do not be tempted to think you know better... and a garment of perfect fit will land on your doormat!

Hunting Gear: Mountain Hunting Clothes Supplies | KUIU
    Last edited by Vipa; 01-09-2015 at 17:48.

I wanted to buy a coat from the states, and couldn't find a single plain one. All camo!

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    I wanted to buy a coat from the states, and couldn't find a single plain one. All camo!
    http://store.kuiu.com/chugach-nx-rain-jacket-p/51003.htm

I used Kuiu gear on a recent hunt for tur in the Caucasus mountains of Azerbaijan and it worked well, windproof but breathable.
    Last edited by Cumbrian 1; 02-09-2015 at 09:35.

I have the chugach rain jacket and pants and beanie. I have the attack pants which while great are slowly but surely getting destroyed on brambles and barbed wire fences. Today I received my Peloton 240 Full Zip. They are well made, well thought out and well priced. Make sure you know what you want.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Quote Originally Posted by mchughcb View Post
    I have the chugach rain jacket and pants and beanie. I have the attack pants which while great are slowly but surely getting destroyed on brambles and barbed wire fences. Today I received my Peloton 240 Full Zip. They are well made, well thought out and well priced. Make sure you know what you want.
    Just ordered a Peleton 240... (along with Ultramerino 125 tee and guide gloves) what's it like in the flesh? Already got a 125 Merino Tee, 210 Merino gloves, beanie, baseball cap and a Yukon Jacket (and the bino harness).. next up was going to be a superdown jacket but I'm erring towards a Kenai instead ready for the hinds and does.. Then its just a pair of Yukon gloves and I think I'm done (although I may get a mid weight zip-T merino too)

Can't bring myself to buy the pants... as long as my legs are pretty much dry and wind proof, anything will do... my seeland beater pants are still going strong 4 years in and have been nothing but fabulous!

Its ok. Need a few months to evaluate.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Thanks for the feed back, I really like the high breathability of the Kuiu gear, I could get a cameo one for every day work, I've got a couple of coats for shoot days in plain green, a berghaus and a paramo, both great for flanking at the grouse and for partridge days on the hill edge but don't show either a barbed wire fence!! not much use for crawling, feeding or anything a bit testing. I'm looking for a waterproof, breathable, robust coat, I've just returned a country covers smock, no more breathable than a ridgeline!! getting on and off the quad or in and out the argo was enough to be wet inside, couldn't wear it for a day at the grouse or anything physical, gutted really as it seemed a good coat. Kuiu seem a good option, the other I'm looking at is a Coldskills rampart gore tex, made for the Swedish military with a ripstop outer layer, don't know anything about the company though. Had a sportchief real tree coat for years, totally waterproof, I never got condensation build up in it, but the new ones don't look to be the quality. You wouldn't think it would be so difficult!!