Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stainless steel polishing

Stainless steel polishing

Chaps I have got a stainless steel plate that I need polished up. Has anyone got any tips on how the best way to do it would be. Ps it's just raw material at the moment.
    Any help gratefully appreciated.

Allan.

allan you will need a high speed polishing mop and polishing soap you can get the mops for a pedestal grinder but stainless takes a while, any pics of the plate or sizes

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Elbow grease!

Seriously, depending on size i would use a mop and polish, i use flour on my kitchen steel, or glass cleaner with ammonia to get a good finish after.

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    allan you will need a high speed polishing mop and polishing soap you can get the mops for a pedestal grinder but stainless takes a while, any pics of the plate or sizes
    the plate is roughly 600x1200mm I can e-mail pictures to you if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanG051 View Post
    the plate is roughly 600x1200mm I can e-mail pictures to you if you want.
    How bright do you want it and for what purpose?

That size and especially if it is outside and / or likely to get finger marks I would scotch-brite out any scratches (preferably using a pneumatic drum sander) and then send it to be passivated and electro-polished.

Anopol is the company I use but you will have someone closer.

Alternatively specify the finish from your supplier and ensure they put a mild tack plastic protector on it at the least.

Alan

p.s. If you want to do it in-house Menzerna P175 Yellow Super Finish is an amazing final polishing compound for mirror finishing. I bought it from the polishing shop site
    Last edited by Alantoo; 01-09-2015 at 19:53. Reason: Anapol/Anopol

Here is a lead in to a supplier

Metal Polishing Compounds From Metal Polishing Supplies UK Ltd

You need a high speed polisher and time. The edges are the difficult bits as the mop catches on them when overlapping

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    How bright do you want it and for what purpose?

That size and especially if it is outside and / or likely to get finger marks I would scotch-brite out any scratches (preferably using a pneumatic drum sander) and then send it to be passivated and electro-polished.

Anopol is the company I use but you will have someone closer.

Alternatively specify the finish from your supplier and ensure they put a mild tack plastic protector on it at the least.

Alan
    Its to cover the hole in the wall where a woodburner flue goes through. So woukd need to be quite shinny so it looks ok next to the stainless flue pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanG051 View Post
    Its to cover the hole in the wall where a woodburner flue goes through. So woukd need to be quite shinny so it looks ok next to the stainless flue pipe.
    In that case don't mess about trying to do it yourself, buy it ready polished and protected. You are only going to be using sheet presumably.

Are you having the hole profiled? They can waterjet cut through the protection sheet.

If you are DIY-ing it from pickled sheet/plate, probably the easiest finish to achieve would be a brushed finish using scotchbrite. The easiest way to end up with polished sheet is to start with polished sheet.

Alan

Allan I asked about size because i have an industrial polisher but the size you have is big, lol I would ask a company like these as it is a hard job for a DIY at that size, I used to polish wheels and frames for motorcylcles and stainless takes an age

My Website

hope you get it sorted, atb wayne

ps the link has nothing to do with me, as Alantoo says get some in grade 2ba already polished
    Last edited by mereside; 01-09-2015 at 20:06.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    In that case don't mess about trying to do it yourself, buy it ready polished and protected. You are only going to be using sheet presumably.

Are you having the hole profiled? They can waterjet cut through the protection sheet.

If you are DIY-ing it from pickled sheet/plate, probably the easiest finish to achieve would be a brushed finish using scotchbrite. The easiest way to end up with polished sheet is to start with polished sheet.

Alan
    I have already had the hole profiled I picked it up today. It was only ment to be steel but they had a bit of stainless lying about so they used that lol. Looks like I will be getting someone to do it for me then lol.