Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spectacularly specific Ernst Apel advert for old drilling owners!

Spectacularly specific Ernst Apel advert for old drilling owners!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PubErnstApel_LCF_082015.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	60749

"Do you have a drilling with claw mounts and you'd like to change the scope, but the price is just too high?"

Erm, yes, could well be actually, how did you know? And what do you suggest?

"We have the optimal economic solution for you! Ask your gunsmith or us directly for more information on the different ways of modernising your gun".

OK, so the choice of illustration is weird, but then in a hunting magazine, it actually stands out (this is from Le Chasseur Francais). And you know what? If I stumble across the money, I will indeed call Ernst Apel. And while I'm at it, I'll also ask to speak to the marketing guy to congratulate him. No reams of technical nonsense here, just a solution to a user problem. Nice work.

Here's what they actually have in mind: http://www.eaw.de/assets/files/2014/27_EM_allg.pdf
    Last edited by Pine Marten; 02-09-2015 at 10:59.

What a wonderful, naively weird choice of images.

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    What a wonderful, naively weird choice of images.
    I don't think it's naive at all, I think it's carefully considered. It has massive standout compared to the usual images of square-jawed types manfully striding up a mountain carrying a load of expensive hunting technology. The muted colours and the imagery are tremendously different and therefore noticeable. The three poses of the girl are saying that she wants your attention, she's listening to your problem, she has a solution for you, and she won't tell anyone you sort of cheated and did it for cheaper than others would. She won't share it with the the Alpha Male with designer stuble in the Harkila/Blaser/Beretta ad on the opposite page. And who doesn't trust a smiling little girl?

There's a bold commercial genius to this advert.

Is it a current ad? I rather took it to be about 30 years old.

Nope, it's from the current Le Chasseur Francais wild boar special edition, available in French newsagents. I've seen it before earlier this year but forgot about it. So they've clearly identified this specific consumer need as sizeable enough to warrant chasing after.

I don't trust smiling little girls.

This advert made me run screaming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carrie-Poster-carrie-1976-16584983-453-652.jpg  

Thanks for this.
    I have Suhl bases on my 1927 combination gun, but no rings, and this is definitely interesting, as each set of rings would cost about $600 USD, and require my sending the entire gun to an Austrian gunsmith 1,000 miles away.

You're welcome. But you have to let us know whether the little girl scares you like she does Grandhubert or whether you're inclined to buy some stuff from her.

It doesn't scare me, just reminds me of an early 1980's Bang & Olufson ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    You're welcome. But you have to let us know whether the little girl scares you like she does Grandhubert or whether you're inclined to buy some stuff from her.
    I never saw the movie, "Carrie", so I am not scared off. I like simple ads which make a point, like the old black and white Volkswagen ads.

Right now, I am dialing in my 7x57R combo gun for deer season, with the iron sights. I have a few loads working, so now need to practice with it at 25 to 200 yards and see how it shoots for me, which load to use, trajectories, and my comfort zone.
    Last edited by Southern; 02-09-2015 at 15:58.