Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting down a HMR barrel?

Cutting down a HMR barrel?

I have a CZ455 17 HMR with a 20" barrell.

I love the rifle, it shoots as well as I can, but I find it unweildly when used from a vehicle, which is quite often.

The polava of changing the rifle via 1 for 1 variation for a shorter barrel one is too much (my last variation with Lincs took 3+ months), and I wonder if anyone has had a cut down and re-thread done and can tell me how much it would be. I have only asked in one gunsmith and he wanted 150, is that about right or is he trying to have my pants down?

Thinking of going to 16" as that is the other barrel length offered by CZ.

My closest place charged 130 including proof (which he insisted on but isn't necessary unless you want to sell) and he sent it out to be butchered by some clown with a lathe. I then had it tidied up by Paddy Dane who charged 20 and he shortened my .22lr with re thread and crown for 70 and was a superb job.

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    My closest place charged 130 including proof (which he insisted on but isn't necessary unless you want to sell) and he sent it out to be butchered by some clown with a lathe. I then had it tidied up by Paddy Dane who charged 20 and he shortened my .22lr with re thread and crown for 70 and was a superb job.
    I presume your closest place is also mine...? If so, I thought he had his own lathe but we might be talking about different people here.

Regarding proof, out of my 3 rifles, one was new and 2 were second hand (one bought from a dealer). At no time was I made aware that the gun was either in or out of proof (the 2nd hand gun I bought from the dealer has a shorter barrel than original). How does one tell? Do they add extra proof marks?

Mine once cut down had an extra proof mark stamped near the muzzle. I suppose there isn't any real way of telling if the barrel has been cut down unless there is no blueing? On a stainless steel barrel it would be harder to "prove" it had been cut down. The whole proof thing is a bit contentious as to what needs to be proofed and what should be or is desirable to be. I can fully understand a new build rifle or rebarrel needing to be sent for proofing but just having the barrel shortened?

Bought a CZ with 16" barrel and had it shortened to 14" and have had no reduction in accuracy. The work was done by the RFD I purchased the rifle from and the word proof was never mentioned.

Cheers

Bruce

Mine once cut down had an extra proof mark stamped near the muzzle. I suppose there isn't any real way of telling if the barrel has been cut down unless there is no blueing? On a stainless steel barrel it would be harder to "prove" it had been cut down. The whole proof thing is a bit contentious as to what needs to be proofed and what should be or is desirable to be. I can fully understand a new build rifle or rebarrel needing to be sent for proofing but just having the barrel shortened?

You dont need to proof a shortened barrel. It's the threading the muzzle which requires the proof.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    You dont need to proof a shortened barrel. It's the threading the muzzle which requires the proof.
    We have been down this road before (I'll try and find a link to clarify) but no re-proof needed for screw cutting or shortening at all.

Reflex Suppressors UK Proof info
    Last edited by palmer_mike; 02-09-2015 at 16:19.

I know Mike.
    I was more trying to clarify that you don't need to get it proofed after shortening even if you intend on selling it whereas it is yet to be tested in court as to whether you can sell a firearm which has been screwcut and not re-proofed.
    My response was badly worded and I apologise for that, I was rushing.

I don't wish to ignite this topic again however if you wish to PM me that's fine.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    We have been down this road before (I'll try and find a link to clarify) but no re-proof needed for screw cutting or shortening at all.

Reflex Suppressors UK Proof info
    It would be nice if RFDs knew this or chose to not try and make a few more quid out of us by telling us porkie pies

It would be nice if RFDs knew this or chose to not try and make a few more quid out of us by telling us porkie pies
    It would indeed!