Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perruque- When to cull?

Perruque- When to cull?

I have never seen a perruque and only recently came across the topic in the BDS manual for DSC1.

I understand that accident or illness can upset hormone levels causing soft antler growth. The manual instructs that these animals should be culled as death will follow from infection and fly blow.

Should these males be shot out of season if I come accross one? Do exemptions on calibre and cull method apply as an emergency case if I was out shooting with 223 in England for example?

John
    Last edited by John Johnson; 03-09-2015 at 05:53.

You have a defence in law under the the Regulatory Reform Order 2007. Any such deer should be despatched immediately, safety permitting.

"A person shall not be guilty of an offence under section 4(1) or (2) above by reason of the use of any reasonable means for the purpose of killing any deer if he reasonably believes that the deer has been so seriously injured, otherwise than by his unlawful act, or is in such condition, that to kill it is an act of mercy.”.

Good question and great answer. Nice to see a well put together question and a unambiguous answer.

(fantastic roe in your profile pic)

Thank you Oracle, I think it will be pretty unlikely that I come accross one but it's good to be sure of the law.

Stalker.308, the roe skull just came out my rotting tank this week. Unfortunately it was a traffic accident so won't be hanging on the wall as a reminder of a day in the field. I have another roe still in maceration, which is even better than the one on my avatar. I will post some pictures when it is bleached.

Just an observation, that this is one illustration of the 'slightly' fuller/better understanding I feel I have since doing the DSC1 earlier this year. Having put it off for some years the course was well worthwile and I would encourage anyone to put their reservations aside and 'go do it' !
    keith

Apologies for adding another question, but is a Perruque a permanent disfigurement, or can a buck recover and go on to grow proper antlers in the future? I can clearly see that if it was badly flyblown then shooting would be an act of mercy, but if it was healthy etc then perhaps not. Likewise a three legged buck, due to an accident, can be quite sick for a while, but then go on to be fit and healthy but three legged for many a year.

Re DSC 1 - yes do it, but a lot will depend on the instructors and the class. When I did mine 15 odd years ago we had a knowledgeable group of students as well as instructors and we went far beyond the syllabus because that was the interest. It was done over two weekends so plenty of time for additional discussion. I have heard that some course are now very much along the lines of being told the answers to all the possible questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Re DSC 1 - yes do it, but a lot will depend on the instructors and the class. When I did mine 15 odd years ago we had a knowledgeable group of students as well as instructors and we went far beyond the syllabus because that was the interest. It was done over two weekends so plenty of time for additional discussion. I have heard that some course are now very much along the lines of being told the answers to all the possible questions.
    I could not agree with you more. An education is being told how to think, not what to think.

Pretty sure it's permanent Heym. At least I've never heard of one recovering, due to the cause being hormone imbalance (often caused by damaged testes)...

Couldn't say with 100% certainty but as far as i am a ware is a permanent state and will just keep growing. Usually never completely hard and can grow down over the eyes in extreme cases. Fly blow is a problem due to injury.

They just keep growing and don't cast don't cast therefor the condition is permanent.