The .222 Break Barrel Single Shot beast lives!

bewsher500

I was fortuitous in acquiring a .22 Hornet H&R/NEF Handi Rifle from a very nice chap on here.
Despite the praises sung of the Hornet I had plans for the rifle.....
18" barrel chopped and screwcut 1/2" UNF
Weaver rail
It was confirmed as a 1:12" twist by H&R...just the job

So a quick online sortie to Brownells acquired me a .222 Rem Reamer and corresponding Go/NoGo Guages and a few odds and ends

Rifle arrived, Duly rechambered, only snag was the replacement .223 ejector I acquired did not match the profile of my rifle.
Only ejector available was for a .45-70!!

So only one thing for it.
Break out the MIG welder and the needle files.
after much trial and error and constant test chambering we are all shaped and working like a charm!
Fires cases out of the break barrel action like a shotgun on steroids!

Shod with a 3-9x32 Burris with huge eye relief and currently a SAK Mod it is short, light and very pointy. (and yes before you ask the mod is the same SAK but as it is solid Aluminium and has a thicker outer case it is well up to the job and has already been heavily tested on a .222)

I plan to have a wider thread protector made as it is a heavy barrel and I also have some TruGlo open sights that screw straight on the barrel! (Well at least the rears do!)
Scoped up first

D-Day for testing is Thursday
very exciting!

next stage of project!

Well what else can I say What a stunning rifle it's so pretty well done mate bazil

I have a Handi Rifle in 45/70 and love it. I also have one coming my way in 30/30 (couldn't get a 7,62 x 39). The only problem is retaining the scope on the 45/70 as the recoil keeps chucking it off!
Both these calibres shoot lead boolits really well - so cheap to run too.

I have a Handi Rifle in 45/70 and love it. I also have one coming my way in 30/30 (couldn't get a 7,62 x 39). The only problem is retaining the scope on the 45/70 as the recoil keeps chucking it off!
Both these calibres shoot lead boolits really well - so cheap to run too.

Nice Job!
I want a 30-30 so that I can rechamber it to 30-40. My dream fun-gun.~Muir

So it shoots!

not even tried to reload for it
whacked in my "roe round" 60gr SP over 20.8gr N133 that the other .222 likes

puts them all inside an inch without much effort
even tried a couple of free hand shots and all three of us put them in the black 3-4" circle at 100 yds!

extractor is an issue I must say though
clears unfired rounds no bother but as they expand to fired sized they foul.
if the extractor hook is low enough to clear a fired case web it is too low to hook the rimless groove

may have to go back to the drawing board on that to get a clean eject/extract

on a separate note the pipe range at braidwood is very good and well set up
thoroughly recommended

great to see the pea shooter alive and breathing fire Ed...I guess now I can't call it that anymore! LOL

Back