Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any idea where I can find .308 expander/decapping rod

Any idea where I can find .308 expander/decapping rod

Hi all,

i have managed to get a Case stuck in my lee .308 die. As you can tell I am very much an amateur at this at the moment, learning as I go.

I managed to under lube the first case I got stuck, but managed to get it out by pounding the decapping rod. The second I decided to resize without the rod, got it stuck, and then tried to push it out with the rod. That has mushroomed the head, as well as not helping getting the case out.

So I need to find me a decapping / expander rod. Does anyone know where I can get one? Or indeed have one I can buy?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by wasteoid View Post
    Hi all,

i have managed to get a Case stuck in my lee .308 die. As you can tell I am very much an amateur at this at the moment, learning as I go.

I managed to under lube the first case I got stuck, but managed to get it out by pounding the decapping rod. The second I decided to resize without the rod, got it stuck, and then tried to push it out with the rod. That has mushroomed the head, as well as not helping getting the case out.

So I need to find me a decapping / expander rod. Does anyone know where I can get one? Or indeed have one I can buy?

Chris
    you could try reloading solutions in Kidlington, if it happens again take the pin out, and use something sacrificial to knock away at the stuck case, what lube are you using?
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

http://www.1967spud.com/shop/redding/redding-stuck-case-removal-kit/

like a condom, better to have one and not need it than need one and not have it
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Hi am using the same one that works well on my .223 brass.

It is lanolin / isopropyl home made. I think I didn't put enough on / didn't let it evaporate enough.

Now I know - I will be using the old one for knocking out stuck cases. I also have a broken universal de capper rod I can use.

I assume this is what you're after, Ez X Exp 30 Cal Med - Lee Precision

The 308Win expander mandrel?

If it is I can send you one for 3 including postage.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

hi Phaedra,

Let me know how to pay you - that is very kind. The pin I had is a lot less "streamlined" than that one, but I am sure it will fit the bill.

Chris

I'm not getting this really. Post #1, #3, and #5 show that the mechanics of resizing isn't understood.

You can't withdraw or insert the decapping stem once a case is stuck fast. The neck has already been partly or wholly resized (about .304" inner) so has a smaller diameter than the expander ball, and the neck of the case is wedged in the neck part of the die to boot.

That's also the problem when cases aren't resized enough at the head. Simply taking out the decapping stem, turning in the die a bit further, and re-doing the cases then leaves you with undersized necks to force the bullet into. If you want to redo .243 cases you need the use a FLR die in the .260 - .308 range to leave the neck untouched.

Also.... Redding stuck case removal sets are the most expensive you can find - RCBS are cheaper and better. I think Spud can do his own advertising BTW.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Hi phedra,
    Do have the Ez X Exp 30 Cal Med and the 243 win Lee Precision for sale please let me know cause i need to replace mine.

Tah

Hi

Sorry, I don't have anything in 243 and I'm down to one spare 30cal expander but have ordered another from Titan Reloading along with .260s and other stuff, if you'd posted yesterday I could have added yours to the order

If you can't find them in the UK (Kranks or Hannams) I'd suggest Titan, they accept Paypal and will ship to the UK, my last order got here 4 days after placing it!.

LEE SE2171 EzXExp .243 WIN

LEE SE2171 EzXExp .243 WIN

Shipping would be $10 but you can add a few more bits to the order for that amount.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy