Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any electricians on here?

Any electricians on here?

Just an 'in theory' at the moment.
    It must be nearly 30 years ago now but i rewired my own house, from changing the consumer unit to all internal wiring.
    Of course i understand things i changed a lot since then.
    All i have done since then is install a cooker and run a single extension spur.

So, what are the rules these days, could i do the same in another house and on completion get everything checked by a qualified engineer?
    Is a certificate issued?
    Or am i not allowed to do anything?

Many thanks

Richard

I enjoy DIY stuff, but if it were me, I'd do the running of the wiring, and let an Engineer do the connections. This way you save the time and labor, and the engineer can, truthfully, say, he/she did all of the connections and they are all up to standard. Then the Engineer signs off on the cert. and your house is re-wired just the way you want it. I have heard of this way of doing things a lot, since moving to Scotland. Just ensure you utilize the standard wire, as a minimum.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Just an 'in theory' at the moment.
    It must be nearly 30 years ago now but i rewired my own house, from changing the consumer unit to all internal wiring.
    Of course i understand things i changed a lot since then.
    All i have done since then is install a cooker and run a single extension spur.

So, what are the rules these days, could i do the same in another house and on completion get everything checked by a qualified engineer?
    Is a certificate issued?
    Or am i not allowed to do anything?

Many thanks

Richard
    Hi Richard
    technically you should leave it all to a part p registered sparky however if you can find one that will be happy for you to run the cable in and do the second fix himself then go ahead but I reckon you'd struggle to find one that would be happy to do that .....
    I don't do domestic anymore but if you've any questions please pm me
    Atb Jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Hi Richard, you can run all your own cables connect up to the consumer unit then ask the local electricity board to test and inspect it, and connect it, to the meter, and they will issue you with a certificate, no need for a qualified electrician or one that is part P registered. cheers Geoff

Many thanks for the useful information chaps.
    Cheers
    Richard

Hi Richard

Been out of the house bashing game for many years now myself but know that Legally things have changed considerably. I believe you could run the cable in but that's where it ends, connecting into the consumer unit is a no no. As Jimbo says I doubt many qualified persons will test your newly fitted installation and sign off.

This is a statement I found from my old regs book.

" Please remember that under Part P of the building regulations you are not permitted to carry out DIY electrical work in your own house until you have applied for and been granted consent from the local authority building control. Most local authorities charge around 200 - 300 for part P consent and will get their inspector out to test/verify the completed works meets the regulations. - A potential 5000 fine can be the result of not following these rules
    Part P was introduced in 2005 after an MP's daughter was killed "

Gaz

Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
    Hi Richard, you can run all your own cables connect up to the consumer unit then ask the local electricity board to test and inspect it, and connect it, to the meter, and they will issue you with a certificate, no need for a qualified electrician or one that is part P registered. cheers Geoff
    You might want to check this out locally before proceeding. Local 'electricity boards' ceased to exist many moons ago and are now private companies and, as is the way of the world, will not carry out any work without earning a, (sometimes exorbitant) shilling. If you can locate a local registered sparks willing to 'supervise' your work, carry out the final connections and register and certificate the job it may be the way forward.

Richard,
    The rules have changed alot over the years
    Best to contact a local sparks explain what you would like to do and see if you can come to a suitable agreement
    As Jim said finding someone who will sign off someone else's work won't be easy as he will then be responsible for all work if some thing goes wrong at a later date

It would take you ages and you'd probably not be compliant with current regs. A qualified sparky will then have to come and inspect absolutely everything you have done and rectify errors as it will be his signature for the part P. Assuming you can find someone to do this (which is doubtful!) they will charge you as much as if they did it themselves. They will also get trade discount on equipment. I doubt you'll save much over getting a decent sparky in to do it for you.
    MS

With the likes of the internet you can get most things very keenly priced. You will save a fortune in labour. The people you need to speak to are your local building control. You have to notify them before you start and they may inspect cable runs etc and need to send someone out to test at the end.

As long as you take care then you can save a LOT of money, have the satisfaction of doing it yourself and be completely legal and above board.

The fees charged vary by area. It's all legal and above board. A normal electrician cannot sign off other's work, but magically can if working on behalf of the BCO!

Unless the house is odd then domestic electrics is easy. No problem complying with regs. Loads of online advice and help.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.