Any electricians on here?

devon deer stalker

Just an 'in theory' at the moment.
It must be nearly 30 years ago now but i rewired my own house, from changing the consumer unit to all internal wiring.
Of course i understand things i changed a lot since then.
All i have done since then is install a cooker and run a single extension spur.

So, what are the rules these days, could i do the same in another house and on completion get everything checked by a qualified engineer?
Is a certificate issued?
Or am i not allowed to do anything?

Many thanks

Richard

I enjoy DIY stuff, but if it were me, I'd do the running of the wiring, and let an Engineer do the connections. This way you save the time and labor, and the engineer can, truthfully, say, he/she did all of the connections and they are all up to standard. Then the Engineer signs off on the cert. and your house is re-wired just the way you want it. I have heard of this way of doing things a lot, since moving to Scotland. Just ensure you utilize the standard wire, as a minimum.

Hope this helps.

Just an 'in theory' at the moment.
It must be nearly 30 years ago now but i rewired my own house, from changing the consumer unit to all internal wiring.
Of course i understand things i changed a lot since then.
All i have done since then is install a cooker and run a single extension spur.

So, what are the rules these days, could i do the same in another house and on completion get everything checked by a qualified engineer?
Is a certificate issued?
Or am i not allowed to do anything?

Many thanks

Richard
Hi Richard
technically you should leave it all to a part p registered sparky however if you can find one that will be happy for you to run the cable in and do the second fix himself then go ahead but I reckon you'd struggle to find one that would be happy to do that .....
I don't do domestic anymore but if you've any questions please pm me
Atb Jim

Hi Richard, you can run all your own cables connect up to the consumer unit then ask the local electricity board to test and inspect it, and connect it, to the meter, and they will issue you with a certificate, no need for a qualified electrician or one that is part P registered. cheers Geoff

Hi Richard

Been out of the house bashing game for many years now myself but know that Legally things have changed considerably. I believe you could run the cable in but that's where it ends, connecting into the consumer unit is a no no. As Jimbo says I doubt many qualified persons will test your newly fitted installation and sign off.

This is a statement I found from my old regs book.

" Please remember that under Part P of the building regulations you are not permitted to carry out DIY electrical work in your own house until you have applied for and been granted consent from the local authority building control. Most local authorities charge around £200 - £300 for part P consent and will get their inspector out to test/verify the completed works meets the regulations. - A potential £5000 fine can be the result of not following these rules
Part P was introduced in 2005 after an MP's daughter was killed "

Gaz

Hi Richard, you can run all your own cables connect up to the consumer unit then ask the local electricity board to test and inspect it, and connect it, to the meter, and they will issue you with a certificate, no need for a qualified electrician or one that is part P registered. cheers Geoff

You might want to check this out locally before proceeding. Local 'electricity boards' ceased to exist many moons ago and are now private companies and, as is the way of the world, will not carry out any work without earning a, (sometimes exorbitant) shilling. If you can locate a local registered sparks willing to 'supervise' your work, carry out the final connections and register and certificate the job it may be the way forward.

Richard,
The rules have changed alot over the years
Best to contact a local sparks explain what you would like to do and see if you can come to a suitable agreement
As Jim said finding someone who will sign off someone else's work won't be easy as he will then be responsible for all work if some thing goes wrong at a later date

It would take you ages and you'd probably not be compliant with current regs. A qualified sparky will then have to come and inspect absolutely everything you have done and rectify errors as it will be his signature for the part P. Assuming you can find someone to do this (which is doubtful!) they will charge you as much as if they did it themselves. They will also get trade discount on equipment. I doubt you'll save much over getting a decent sparky in to do it for you.
MS

With the likes of the internet you can get most things very keenly priced. You will save a fortune in labour. The people you need to speak to are your local building control. You have to notify them before you start and they may inspect cable runs etc and need to send someone out to test at the end.

As long as you take care then you can save a LOT of money, have the satisfaction of doing it yourself and be completely legal and above board.

The fees charged vary by area. It's all legal and above board. A normal electrician cannot sign off other's work, but magically can if working on behalf of the BCO!

Unless the house is odd then domestic electrics is easy. No problem complying with regs. Loads of online advice and help.

On the back of this, apologies to OP, What is a rough guide to an average three bed semi re wire?, I am going to pull down the ground floor ceilings for some other works, so am thinking would be an opportunity to do the wiring.

On the back of this, apologies to OP, What is a rough guide to an average three bed semi re wire?, I am going to pull down the ground floor ceilings for some other works, so am thinking would be an opportunity to do the wiring.
Don't apologize i will be interested in any replies.
Cheers
Richard

It all depends on the spec
ie downlights or pendants
oven size/type
outside lighting
the list can go on and on and the cost can too

Obviously depends on the amount and type of points (Sockets, Cooker, Shower, Light switches) etc etc but as a "Rough" guide your looking at around 2.5k, for a full rewire, Thats obviously prices down here it may well be that prices in your area will be different, That would be a minimum price down this way the last one my mate done was closer to 3.5k but that included a fair few extras and a good quality split consumer unit

I was a electrical site supervisor for 50 years working on major projects world wide I retired 5 years ago, Have higher national diploma electrical engineering My son wanted his house rewiring I was told I could not do it as I was not part P reg. The idiot that he got to do it would not have lasted till brew time on one of my sites but was part P I think he got his part P by taking a bag of rags to a rag and bone man, 6 sockets on a spur from a 13 amp socket ring main,cables run across walls not straight up or down to the points. up shot after the son paid him £2500 I rewired the biggest part of the installation

Last edited:
Your best bet, as already suggested, is to find a spark that's happy with you running all the cables, chasing walls, sinking back boxes etc.. Then get him around for the second fix. Saves you most of the money, saves him most of the work. Or you could do it all and get a spark to test it as an exiting installation rather than a new one and get a condition report.(think that's the correct name) I don't think there's any laws saying you can'tcan't do any electrical work unless your qualified, you just have to be a competent person.

To become part P registered you have to attend a 5 day course where they teach you have to find things in the regs book.

5 Days WOW how long for a HND you need part P if you ever come to sell the house
PS this is only needed because there is no longer proper apprenticeships just classroom taught morons rant over
Your best bet, as already suggested, is to find a spark that's happy with you running all the cables, chasing walls, sinking back boxes etc.. Then get him around for the second fix. Saves you most of the money, saves him most of the work. Or you could do it all and get a spark to test it as an exiting installation rather than a new one and get a condition report.(think that's the correct name) I don't think there's any laws saying you can'tcan't do any electrical work unless your qualified, you just have to be a competent person.

To become part P registered you have to attend a 5 day course where they teach you have to find things in the regs book.

Last edited:

There's your problem! Try finding one that will be happy that all the cables he can't see are routed correctly at the right angles and protected as required when he could be making money for doing the same. Unless you have a friend that trusts you, you may struggle! I have a HND in electronic engineering and wired most of my extension but even then a friend was very cautious to sign it off and we used to be the same trade! I had a similar problem after sacking a plumber who had done the first fix. (he was a complete C***!) The next guy all but wanted to do it all again as he didn't trust his work. Turned out that he was a C*** as well though and I ended up doing most of it myself. Good luck!
MS

There's your problem! Try finding one that will be happy that all the cables he can't see are routed correctly at the right angles and protected as required when he could be making money for doing the same. Unless you have a friend that trusts you, you may struggle! I have a HND in electronic engineering and wired most of my extension but even then a friend was very cautious to sign it off and we used to be the same trade! I had a similar problem after sacking a plumber who had done the first fix. (he was a complete C***!) The next guy all but wanted to do it all again as he didn't trust his work. Turned out that he was a C*** as well though and I ended up doing most of it myself. Good luck!
MS

Mark, sounds like you had a bit of stress on that job.:eek:

So much nonsense so far! I think it was Geofry who had the best response so far. You can do it major works yourself providing you apply for planning with your local council (not the electricity board)!! It is then their Responsibility to carry out the testing.

For minor works (replacing like for like) you don't need part p at all.

My advice, buy an onsite guide, follow it and you will be pretty much compliant. Add RCDs to as many circuits as you can as this allows huge corners to be cut (cable depth and bonding in bathrooms etc)

Back