Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideal Muntjac Rifle

Ideal Muntjac Rifle

Hello folks,

I was wondering, what do people regard as a rifle specifically for muntjac?

Would it be akin to a foxing rifle in .22CF?
    A light handling lever action?
    Something else?

Be interesting to hear people's thoughts.

ATB,

Scrummy
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

Do you have a gap in your gun cabinet screaming at you to be filled again?

No actually, was just a convo I was having with a buddy of mine and we came to very different conclusions.

(You however need a .22CF stutzen ASAP)

Scrummy
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

If I was to spec a rifle purely for Muntjac, I'd spec it around a particular bullet that I wanted to use, let's say something in the region of a 65gr BTSP in 224, if such a beast exists.

I would end up with a heavy sporter with in a fast twist 223 or 22BR with a 20" barrel.

A Blaser barrel in 12 twist 22/250 might also stabilise a 65 gr bullet, it will certainly shoot a 60gr.

I'd stay away from 50-55gr BT's.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by scrumbag View Post
    (You however need a .22CF stutzen ASAP)

Scrummy
    What for exactly? I already have a better than average selection of stutzens! And both the 7x57R and the 7mm-08 deal with everything I shoot at very nicely already.

The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Beautiful .
    If I owned a rifle like that I'd be scared stiff of taking it out in case it got damaged.

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    If I was to spec a rifle purely for Muntjac, I'd spec it around a particular bullet that I wanted to use, let's say something in the region of a 65gr BTSP in 224, if such a beast exists.

I would end up with a heavy sporter with in a fast twist 223 or 22BR with a 20" barrel.

A Blaser barrel in 12 twist 22/250 might also stabilise a 65 gr bullet, it will certainly shoot a 60gr.

I'd stay away from 50-55gr BT's.
    I wish we could find a 60-65gr BTSP from the factory over here! I've used with some success the 56gr Geco ballistic tip in .223 on munties without any horrible carcass damage but would prefer a soft point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    What for exactly? I already have a better than average selection of stutzens! And both the 7x57R and the 7mm-08 deal with everything I shoot at very nicely already.
    To sit between you .22lr Stutzen and your 7-08 Stutzen of course...

I wouldn't go down the small centre fire route personally. Muntjac are very tough little deer, probably more so than Roe!
    Whilst a small centre fire such as you suggest will easily kill either species, the way they kill can cause problems. High velocity rounds, especially frangible ones cause a lot of meat damage and trauma. A muntjac is a small compact animal and a standard chest shot using such bullets will invariably burst the rhumen as it is so close. It will be fine for shoulder shots but again you will write-off the front end. Perfect for head or neck shots though. A larger slower bullet with controlled expansion will kill them and normally give you a better end product.
    MS