Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firearms Clause - Zeroing on a range vs Using on a range

Firearms Clause - Zeroing on a range vs Using on a range

Hi,

i have have only ever had rifles through land permissions and never through being a member of a club.

I am currently going through the political process of joining a club and upon my host pointing out that I already had an FAC to the committee, someone said 'ah yes, but does it allow him to shoot targets'...

that at has left me wondering... Do I?

I have the clause 'for zeroing purposes on ranges'... Does that discount me from regularly practicing?

thanks

graeme

I discussed this with them when in a similar situation & I had to add target shooting. No problem to do.

If you are a member of a club, get all your rifles for sporting and target, simple as

Cool thanks I'll stick a variation in if I get probationary / full membership, was hoping I'd not have to waste any more time of the firearms teams time as I've moved house a couple of times in the last 12 months and had a renewal so they'll be sick of hearing from me.

Quote Originally Posted by GSP84 View Post
    Hi,

i have have only ever had rifles through land permissions and never through being a member of a club.

I am currently going through the political process of joining a club and upon my host pointing out that I already had an FAC to the committee, someone said 'ah yes, but does it allow him to shoot targets'...

that at has left me wondering... Do I?

I have the clause 'for zeroing purposes on ranges'... Does that discount me from regularly practicing?

thanks

graeme
    If you're joing a club it won't matter in the future and is quite simple to get your current rifles added for use with targets. What interests me is is there a definition of "zeroing" as opposed to practice? I want to check the zero of my rifle and then check the number of clicks or reticule position to see what the zero is at 200, 300,400 etc Is this practicing/target shooting or still zeroing?

Quote Originally Posted by GSP84 View Post
    Cool thanks I'll stick a variation in if I get probationary / full membership, was hoping I'd not have to waste any more time of the firearms teams time as I've moved house a couple of times in the last 12 months and had a renewal so they'll be sick of hearing from me.
    It's a change of condition as opposed to a variation.
    Variations cost. Change of conditions are still free, as far as I know...

As Milligan says this "variation" would simply be a change in conditions for which there would be no charge.

The local firearms department have insisted that this has been necessary with regard to several sporting shooters who have joined our rifle club with the intention of simply zeroing or carrying out reasonable practise. The members had no intention to get involved in target shooting. (The club being a H.O. approved club is required to inform the firearms department of all applications to join the club.)
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I have been shooting on a clubs range as a guest without a change in condition. The range was a Home office range booked by the club, suprvised by the club and they had insurance (Sealand). I also joined another club by virtue of a helpful assistant in a gunshop - 100 a year and the same range. One was deemed ok as a guest, the other necessitated a change in conditions. The only difference seems to be specific insurance (which was mentioned as an aside in the condition).
    The condition added that I could only use a range where the insurance was sufficient. I dont think this issue has been 'bottomed' by certain police forces but I would suggest, as a guest and with your own insurance only, you might be considered to be in breach. Best advice, talk to your (knowledgeable) FEO.

What do you mean by a Home Office range booked by the club?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Wouldn't there also be an issue with using expanding ammo for target shooting? Assuming that's what you'd do? I think you're only supposed to use it for zeroing...