Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: zeroing

Question zeroing

Hi all,

Just wondering what % of shooters using this forum live in, City's, Towns, or the Country side, reason been how do most shooters Zero their rifle's before going stalking.

live 5 mins from my 1000 acre shoot , so just nip out and practice/zero to my hearts content , usually 15 rounds per week , atb arron.

Live in the country and my ground is 20 min away or there is a range I sometimes use but it's 40 mins away.

Quote Originally Posted by Long drag View Post
    Hi all,

Just wondering what % of shooters using this forum live in, City's, Towns, or the Country side, reason been how do most shooters Zero their rifle's before going stalking.
    You will probably find that many stalkers have access to either improvised ranges or are members of rifle clubs. A good rifle and scope combination properly set up doesn't normally suddenly loose its zero unless messed about with or possibly subjected to a severe knock.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

i'm very lucky open the loading shed window and i have a safe back stop 100m away..

Quote Originally Posted by bramble basher View Post
    i'm very lucky open the loading shed window and i have a safe back stop 100m away..
    Im envious i need to walk to the back garden to get to my range

but to be fair to the original post once you zero in as long as you dont drop or abuse the rifle the zero will be fine, think what you are saying is "you" want to check zero for "your" confidence if you are going on paid stalking inform your host of your concerns he will be most happy to sort out a zero session for you, after all it is in everyones interest ( including the prey) to get a clean , one shot kill

Ray
    Last edited by Ray7756; 03-09-2015 at 22:30.

i had to join a local range in order to not only check zero but also to get a feel for my new to me .308, so much so that now i abs love being able to pop over and burn thru as many rounds as i want without the worry of anyone in earshot having a reason to moan/complain
    total joy as far as im concerned

If you have a decent set-up, there should be no real reason to check zero unless you knock it, change ammo, or alter anything about the rifle.
    What can alter zero is cleaning! Rifles are zeroed with a dirty barrel. Scrubbing it clean and then oiling will generally un-zero your rifle for at least the next shot! You need to fire a fouling round or two before the rifle is effectively zeroed again. Plenty of deer are shot at with what is effectively an inaccurate rifle by the fastidious cleaners that don't have the facility to fire fouling rounds before next hunting trip! Dry cleaning or a patch soaked in meths can remove oil and aid accuracy. If your rifle goes out between stalks then you shouldn't really be using it to shoot deer. I would not shoot deer with a rifle setup that I didn't have absolute confidence in.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    If you have a decent set-up, there should be no real reason to check zero unless you knock it, change ammo, or alter anything about the rifle.
    What can alter zero is cleaning! Rifles are zeroed with a dirty barrel. Scrubbing it clean and then oiling will generally un-zero your rifle for at least the next shot! You need to fire a fouling round or two before the rifle is effectively zeroed again. Plenty of deer are shot at with what is effectively an inaccurate rifle by the fastidious cleaners that don't have the facility to fire fouling rounds before next hunting trip! Dry cleaning or a patch soaked in meths can remove oil and aid accuracy. If your rifle goes out between stalks then you shouldn't really be using it to shoot deer. I would not shoot deer with a rifle setup that I didn't have absolute confidence in.
    MS
    +1 for this. I prefer to stalk with an unmoderated rifle but I use a mod to fire a fouling shot on the way into the ground (after a solvent-soked patch plus dry patch has been through the bore).

For unmoderated check of zero I mainly use a local pipe range.
    Last edited by McKenzie; 04-09-2015 at 04:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    MS
    I agree with this post. When I first started using my first CF I was frustrated about poor initial groups. It transpired it was all down to the inaccuracy of the first couple of fouling shots!